Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 should carbines be legal in slug only areas? >

should carbines be legal in slug only areas?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

should carbines be legal in slug only areas?

Old 05-11-2003, 09:07 PM

Default should carbines be legal in slug only areas?

If you hunt deer (any species) and live in a State, zone, area that allows the use of shotgun slugs, muzzle loader, pistol (handcannons included --pistols chambered for rifle rounds) during the firearms season as your only weapon choice' s would you support being able to use a rifle chambered for already legal pistol cartridges?
answer yes/no and why.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: should carbines be legal in slug only areas?

I wouldn' t. I' m under the impression that those limits are in place so your bullet won' t travel as far (even though rifle cartridges in a pistol make that a weak argument), and your right, that pistol cartridges have the same limits as the ones that you mentioned. But from my thinking, you are asking a wildlife official to now have to ask to look at your cartridge of choice. I' m not sure where you would break off what is considered a pistol cartridge and what isn' t. I would think then you would get into the argument of someone using a big straight walled cartridge and saying it' s a pistol cartridge.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use to live in Virginia and had to use shotgun only. I have never understood why this law was in effect. There is neglagable differances between a slug traveling at 1300 fps and a 270 traveling 3000 fps. They are both capable of traveling for at least a few miles. A shotgun firing 3" 00 buckshot at 1300 fps has 15 pellets that are capable of traveling for a couple of miles. How far do you think that a bullet is going to be able to travel through the Eastern woods before it hits a tree and stops? Not very far.

To answer your question, Yes I would support using any rifle.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:13 PM

Jorgy, I see were you are coming from. There is the hunter on his stand, DNR sees him, sees him w/ a lever action, now he has to deciede: 1. walk over and see what the hunter is useing, possibly spoiling his hunt. 2. wait for the hunter to leave his stand, then ask. 3. Ignore the hunter. All of these are no good. Then we enter the game were the government gets to decide what is a legal chambering and what is not. But they do that already, the last time I read the Wyoming big game rules, the hunter must use a 24 caliber or larger bullet for any big game, wich includes 90lb antelope to 1000lb moose. Then they could set other caliber restrictions such as only 30 caliber and up for moose, bear, elk, which would p1$$ off the .264 and 7mm bunch. I guess I should be thankfull we still have the right to hunt.

As far as decideing what is a pistol cartridge and what is not that could be determined fairly quickly by most hunters.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

I cannot understand why they restrict people to slugs only in some states ( such as Ohio ). In Ohio I could, if I had one and would want to for some unknown reason, hunt for groundhog with a 416 rigby or any other gun of my choice. but yet I can' t hunt deer with anything but a shotgun? doesn' t make any sense to me.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn' t agree with this because those regs are enstated to prevent extensive bullet travel, adding 3-6times the barrel length even in pistol cartridges adds a LOT of velocity, so the bullet will be able to travel farther, not to mention the fact that people are more apt to take longer shots with a rifle of any sort than a pistol.

I agree, it would be too difficult to a)enforce a leveraction pistol cartridge only law, b) get it to fly. It' s not very likely that anyone would buy slug guns if they had the option of getting better ranges from a cheaper levergun, so almost everyone will go out with a levergun, but then you have to be sure no one uses a .45-70, or a .30-30, .35rem, .38/55, etc.. Then, even if you decide you' re up to enforcing it, you get the problem that people will complain that if a lever action .44mag is legal, why isn' t a lever action .30-30, when the energies are so similar.

In any case, the arguement should be: allow all rifles, or keep things the way they are, adding a rifle of any sort will pi$$ off a lot of people, and cause more earaches for Dof W&P than they want to handle...the allowed weapons are limited range weapons for a reason, to keep ranges down to around 100yrds, adding a levergun, even in a " weak" .44mag adds a TON of range, I' ve seen deer dropped by a super hotrodded .44mag Marlin 1894 at 192yrds, farther than I' d shoot, but he was comfortable with it, made a great shot, a shot nearly twice as long as your state wants people shooting.

It' s not just the fact that there are towns nearby, and no, slugs don' t travel as far as a .270, a quick look at a trajectory chart would show you that (if they both spend x seconds in the air, and the .270 is traveling twice as fast, it will travel twice as far given the same time period). Much of the regulation has to do with the number of hunters in the area, because there is such a great number of towns, and most hunters only drive so far to where they hunt, there are a lot more people hunting in the areas directly surrounding a city. So, it' s like bowling, there are a whole bunch of guys out there in front of your bullet at different ranges (here in KS would be like a 7-10 split compared to you guys), given a decent range, that bullet is a lot more likely to hit somebody. Granted, there' s a lot more trees out there too, but I' ve been hit by a ricochet bullet from a quartermile away, I knew who was hunting there, and later found out he was shooting nearly due east, while I was over 65degrees S x SE of him, it didn' t do more than dump through my clothes and skin, no muscle damage or anything, but what if it would have hit me in the head or chest?
Old 05-12-2003, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Carbines in 357 mag , 41 mag, 44-40, 44 mag, and 45 colt should be legal!
Old 05-12-2003, 02:44 PM

As Americans we have the right to bear arms. It does not say what kind of arms, and this is a glaring example of government regulation on our constitutional right the could, if we are not careful, lead to the loss of this right. Just goes to show you what happens when people like Clinton are allowed to run wild.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would feel a lot safer with a hunters using a rifle with one projectile than the same hunters using a shotgun with 15 or more projectiles. In the woods there is going to be a neglegable difference between the two distance wise.

At 50 yards I bet I could hit both pins on that 7 - 10 split aiming right in the middle with a 3" #4 buck shot but not with a rifle bullet. And I bet that I would have one heck of a good chance at hitting ten hunters standing as far away as 300 yards or so. My odds would go down signifigantly with only one rifle projectile though.

This has nothing to do with the second ammendment. They still can have what ever guns that they choose they just can' t use them for hunting in certain parts of certain states.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

A slug is less likely to ricochet for a goodly distance though, like I said, I was nearly a quartermile away and it penetrated my thick hunting clothes and the skin (bullet bored in under the skin, and stopped at the muscle, thankfully), I' ve not seen many slugs/shot travel a quartermile, let alone penetrate anything (only shot I' ve seen travel that far was light birdshot and it peppered on the other end). If shotguns were terminal at long ranges equal to rifles, more hunters would use them, but the fact is is that they aren' t, the slugs just aren' t going to travel as far given the opportunity to. Take high school physics and it will tell you that much.

Quick Reply: should carbines be legal in slug only areas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.