HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Colorado Elk unit 80,81 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/299660-colorado-elk-unit-80-81-a.html)

pintail318 08-04-2009 12:44 PM

Colorado Elk unit 80,81

I want to take some horses and pack into the high country. I want to go with a bow Sept. 5th to 10th. Has anyone else done a bow DIY in these units Colorado 80,81. Do you think they will be bugling that early. Any suggestions???

Magic 08-04-2009 03:51 PM

Yes, they will be bugling. Your profile doesn't indicate where you live. Are you taking your own horses? Are they use to high altitude? Any hay, etc. used has to be "certified".

Use this link to locate possible hunt spots:

http://ndis.nrel.colostate.edu/maps/

Good luck.

skb2706 08-05-2009 08:30 AM

Never done it with a bow but I've done a DIY hunt there. I was born in Monte Vista, a DIY hunt from there can be done and never drive more than 40 miles round trip.
Excellent access and you should hear plenty of bugling until the smokesticks start shootin.

pintail318 08-05-2009 02:59 PM

Ok! thanks for all of the info.

pintail318 08-06-2009 02:18 PM

Magic,
I live in Oklahoma and have taken my horses the past two outta three years. I have killed two bulls in the area during 1st rifle seasons and the bulls were bugling then (ecspecially last year). I want to try it with my bow. My worry was that it was too early to hear or call them at the first of Sept. I was also worried that if I waited til after muzzleloader they may have shut up do to the shooting. Would you guys prefer early or late bow hunts?

Magic 08-06-2009 05:09 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the ML shooting. I've ML hunted and my partners were bow hunting. We all got shots. I personally would go the week before or during the ML season, but then again.....I don't give advice.

trkytrack2 08-26-2009 09:34 PM

Early. Bulls should be doing there thing.

Rochelle1 03-06-2018 03:49 PM

Louisiana Boyz

Originally Posted by pintail318 (Post 3400799)
Ok! thanks for all of the info.

Hello pintail,
Are you still an Elk hunter??
I've been once two years ago and I'm planning a trip this year in area 80 and 81. I'd like to talk with you some on this type of hunt and this area if you would be so kind. Find me on FB as Rochelle Wendy Baglio Louisiana. Or feel free to text me 318-481-9163

Blackelk 03-07-2018 04:24 AM

This year makes my 29th year outfitting in units 80 & 81 in Colorado. I'm not promoting nor boosting my business just going to give it to you straight up on OTC units.

OTC archery elk is the toughest hunt going to be successful year in year out. But.... It is the best time to be in the mountains hunting elk unless it's super hot and dry. Last year was a perfect archery season with moisture and elk going into the rut early. The 2016 archery season the elk started bugling way early in late August then just shut up as a whole until October. The norm the last ten years is the elk waiting until the end of September to go full rut. If we get a lot of moisture and the temp drops then they seem to speed up the process otherwise it's very random on the rut. Calling can be just entertainment for the hunter not the elk.

The low down on hunting pressure.
The last five years we have been way over pressured by archery hunters. I've stopped hunting the high country with clients during archery and muzzleloader because everyone and their dog is up there chasing elk over the divide into what I call no mans land. It's good hunting into unit 78 but it can be very hazardous on you and your stock. Archery guys blame muzzleloader hunters but the truth is on multiple occasions we've shot bulls out of a herd of elk and the rest of the herd stands there like it didn't happen. Maybe the ole it sounds like thunder vs a rifle shot is not that far off base. Now what does happen during muzzleloader season is you just doubled the number of people in the woods at that time. Not to mention all the leaf lookers out and about. By the end of the first week of archery season the elk already know the game and are pushed back into the timber and wary of everything.

Here's what I would do two options.
Option #1. Pack up your horse and keep riding until you run out of people. Very few areas that is going to happen unless your in between no name peak and where the hell am I.
Option #2. This is how I play the game. Client shows up starts unpacking gear I take a drive very easy for me because I grew up here. I look where the people are, sometimes I hunt where people are not sometimes I hunt where I know where those people are going to push the elk 50/50 shot at that game. I hunt where no one else thinks the elk are. Isn't that funny "where we think they are".

Truly we are just spectators in their game with a chance to get lucky. So many things got to go right to get a "ethical shot" on a nice bull elk. I've come to know maybe one out of five engagements produces a shot.

Take out some of the elements to the game.

No matter what if you just stepped out of your vehicle or horse with a mental image where your going to kill this elk. Stop. You just started hunting right there and you better keep your eyes alert. Chances are they are not far away and may have heard you coming.

Learn to judge distance without that contraption. If you do need that range finder it means the animal is far enough away you either have time to use it or time to think about the animals change of approach and shooting windows.

Adjustable sights, either change it or learn to shoot it at 30 yards and figure out arrow trajectory for hold overs and close shots. If your playing with your sight your just missed a shot of a lifetime most occasions. Be ready to see a bull at 70 yards in the open watch him skirt the tree line and end up right in your face at under 10 yards.

Take a back up release. If you sling your bow that's great for walking miles it's not great for in the woods and you just smelled a heavy stench of elk piss because he just stood up and is probably got his eyes on you. BTW did you forget to knock and arrow?

Wallows are great but you best be ready to put your time in. Our wind is usually out of the SW just a heads up on set up.

Oh for those that come 3 to 4 days early to scout and this includes rifle seasons. Thanks for just screwing up an area for everyone. Sorry fact.

There's nice bulls in the area but be ready to take the best shot opportunity which ever elk that is.

Lots of people lots. Hunt the people the elk will show up around the edges.