HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   CO preference Points (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/299611-co-preference-points.html)

txhunter58 08-27-2009 03:51 AM

Trkytrack2:

Not true. Preference points cost the same for all species, but you have to buy a seperate one for each. If you want to apply for only a preference point, it will cost you $28 per year per species (same cost whether it is for elk, deer, bear, etc)

That breaks down into a $25 preference point fee and a $3 application fee.

However, as stated by several, you do have to front them the entire cost of a license, then they refund all but the $28 per species. So applying for a deer and elk point will cost you $329 + $549 up front, but they refund all but $56 dollars after the drawing.

TreednNC 08-27-2009 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by txhunter58 (Post 3421382)
Trkytrack2:

Not true. Preference points cost the same for all species, but you have to buy a seperate one for each. If you want to apply for only a preference point, it will cost you $28 per year per species (same cost whether it is for elk, deer, bear, etc)

That breaks down into a $25 preference point fee and a $3 application fee.

However, as stated by several, you do have to front them the entire cost of a license, then they refund all but the $28 per species. So applying for a deer and elk point will cost you $329 + $549 up front, but they refund all but $56 dollars after the drawing.

Still not true....well not totally....if you want just the preference point, you can pay the antlerless fee which would be $250 for antlerless deer and elk and get still get the preference point. They charge the lowest license fee for that species for a preference point only, but the points still apply for the particular species, then after say 4 years if I want to put in for a bull tag in Unit X I can still have 4 preference points for a bull tag even though I paid the cow tag for the first 3 years (of course I pay the bull tag fee and actually put in for the tag the year I want to hunt, and of course the cow fees are refunded minus the $28 from the previous years)...........hope this didnt make it clear as mud.

Magic 08-30-2009 06:22 PM

But, if you drive out and buy an OTC bull license this year, then you won't have to forfeit that $25 next year.

txhunter58 08-31-2009 03:54 AM

Treed,

Actually we were both wrong. You pay the antlerless elk (cow) fee of $250, but doe tags and buck tags are the same price for nonresidents ($324). Plus the $5 app. fee for both.

TreednNC 08-31-2009 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by txhunter58 (Post 3424962)
Treed,

Actually we were both wrong. You pay the antlerless elk (cow) fee of $250, but doe tags and buck tags are the same price for nonresidents ($324). Plus the $5 app. fee for both.

Wasn't really paying attention to the deer. Glad ya caught me incase somebody uses this for future reference.