Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

backpacking for game?

Old 08-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
My picture was taken at about 11,000 on the way down to the landing which was at around 9000. The trees were about head height and in our area the tree line was about 12K
Thats good stuff right there CI. Thanks for the pics, i never tire of them.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onebigelk
Hurricane, I have hunted close to you in San Juan forest, unit 77. Beautiful area. Are these packs being discussed able to carry bows or are they for firearms only? Planning a mid september archery hunt this fall.
The Crooked Horn pack that I am currently using allows you to carry a bow or firearm. There are a ton of different packs out there that will do both as well.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Junglecarbin
Hi all, this is my first post in here.

This is fascinating and sounds like a fantastic way to hunt. How do you guys get the game out and how many of you go it alone?
I debone or quarter them out depending on how far back in I am.
I try to go with at least one other person, but to be honest it is sometimes difficult to find people that enjoy this type of hunting.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
I debone or quarter them out depending on how far back in I am.
I try to go with at least one other person, but to be honest it is sometimes difficult to find people that enjoy this type of hunting.
I have found that to be a huge problem. Just about everyone likes to think about backpack hunting in the spring and early summer. Then, after the draw results are out and a tag is drawn folks start to think about what it actually takes to complete a pack in hunt, they start to back out. The "dropout" rate continues to increase throughout the summer. I bet fewer than 1 in 20 folks complete a pack-in hunt planned prior to the draw, generally ruining your hunt in the process. It is easier to plan on going it alone...
Old 08-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

Ever have much problem with bears, even with all the precautionary measures such as hanging food away from camp, etc...
Old 08-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TreednNC
Ever have much problem with bears, even with all the precautionary measures such as hanging food away from camp, etc...
Believe it or not, but I have had more problems with mice than anything else. I have never had a bear problem, but those stupid mice will try to get into everything. I have even had them chew thru my pack.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:24 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
Believe it or not, but I have had more problems with mice than anything else. I have never had a bear problem, but those stupid mice will try to get into everything. I have even had them chew thru my pack.
So what is a backpacker to do to avoid rodent problems?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Junglecarbin
So what is a backpacker to do to avoid rodent problems?
Quite honestly I don't know a foolproof way to keep them out of your stuff. If you follow general "bear" rules more than likely you will be ok, but every now and then they just seem to find a way. If you can find where they are nesting I say drown them, but thats not always an option. Besides when I'm out hunting I don't really want to hunt a mouse nest.
If anyone out there has any ideas I would love to hear them.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

These kind of threads get me pumped up cuz it seems like only the diehrads do this type of hunt anymore.

It is the only kind of hunting I do out west. All DIY on public lands and in some of the roughest territory you can find. I would suggest you limit your pack to 60 pounds for a 5 day hunt (including rifle). It all depends on how rough the territory is though. I hunt in central Idaho and it's tough enough packing 60 pounds in on your back.

Buy the best gear you can afford. There's a reason it costs more. It's probably lighter and better constructed. I hunt with two other guys, so one guy carries the tent and the other guys carry other camp essentials. We use a katahdin filter bag and we pack in those 5 gallon collapsible water containers. The day before we hunt, we pack everything in and filter 10 gallons of water.

As for the area, it doesn't have to be wilderness. I would look for a low density of roads and trails though. We pack in about 3 miles from the end of the trailhead and never see anybody.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Spike

Sounds like it would be a tremendous experience. My challenge is finding some like minded folks to hunt with. That is quite a challenge living so close to NYC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.