Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Bamn! I'm going elk hunting in MT! >

Bamn! I'm going elk hunting in MT!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bamn! I'm going elk hunting in MT!

Old 07-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bamn! I'm going elk hunting in MT!

Just checked, I drew my 1st choice in MT for limited entry archery elk!

The tough parts done right? haha.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Dominant Buck

congrats and yes the tough part is done. now for the work.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

wondering if I should pick up a cow decoy, like one of those montana decoy's
Old 07-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

congratulations! What area will you be huntin' ?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Missouri Breaks, tags good in units; 620,621,622
Old 07-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!!!!!
Old 07-24-2009, 04:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

awesome!!! congrats... i'm jealous... good luck!
Old 07-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default good spot sal

Hey bud congratulations on the great tag. I used to hunt there a lot. Great bulls. Very people smart. Best way to hunt it is get to the river bottom and hunt them like eastern and southern white tails. Set a tree stand in the right place and git'r done. I took lots of folks there and all who listened to me had an average hunt length of less than an hour.
If you can set and sit a tree stand... you will do very well. I would average three shot opportunities a day in there. Just one little tip for you. The river is NOT any obstacle whatsoever for the elk in there. They do not even break stride when crossing the river.
You will see lots of elk and even some super monster bulls. They really are very people smart in there. DON'T TRY TO CALL THEM. You will only alert them to your presence and it will not work. However do have a good cow call handy to stop them for a shot. The only reason you should call in there is to stop for a shot and you should be ready to shoot when you call. Those are some of the most called and played with elk on the planet. They really do know all the tricks. Best dates to be there for the most activity would be Sept. 17 to 23. I have 12 years of records on calling, intensity, movement, receptive cows, bull fights, true breeding. The biggest bulls will stay in the timber and let the smaller bulls play with the cows until about the 15th. By the 17th the big bulls will be lit up and the harems will be gathered by the 21st to 23rd. Breeding starts in earnest about the 21st and is very heavy by the 25th. The breeding is nearly done for the most part by Oct. 8.
I am an extremely good elk caller over 200 called to the frying pan and several competition wins. I DO NOT CALL IN THE BREAKS. It will not work. But I would also never be without a call for that once a year opportunity for it to work.
Those elk will act an awful lot like urban white tails. The road and traffic will have very little effect on their behavior unless some idiot stops on the road and lets out a call with his Walmart bugle. That will send them packing for the other side of the river almost every time. Another little tip... that Primos Hoochie Momma is probably the best tool you can use in the elk woods. It really sounds like an elk. Use it to stop one for a shot.
Good luck bud. You will enjoy it. Just remember tree stands and hunt like white tails.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Turkeyward. PM sent!

ps- is that a wyoming moose? looks pretty nice, another hunt on my list...need a few more points first though, archery moose?
Old 07-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

You're welcome bud hope it all goes well for you. Yes that is a Wyoming moose. It took 33 years to draw a moose tag. However this was my first attempt as a resident in Wyoming. My daughter drew a sheep tag the same year at age 12, her first attempt. I got that bull about 3 miles south of the yellowstone park boundary almost due north of Moran junction. About 23 1/2 miles from the trailhead. Had to wade through the darn grizzlies to get there. It would be the most difficult hunt as far as hardship I ever did. Except maybe the Alaskan bou/brown bear hunt. But then that's another story and a good one.
Good luck buddy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.