Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

I finally got drawn!!

Old 06-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Spike

Default RE: I finally got drawn!!

Good for you man, best of luck and happy hunting. I hope the weather is good for and don't forget to post your pics back here so we can see them.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:54 AM
Spike

Heh, Phil I'm Glad you got your chance... I'll be one of those hunters hunting the September season in zone 19. I got a 917 lb moose back in 1994 in zone 19 so I'm glad to go back. Good luck Ill report how I do.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Phil, thats great news, good luck hunting.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks again everyone.. This is my first draw ever in this hunt and I can't wait.. The September hunt is what I was hoping for but I was lucky enough to get my area of choice so I can't complain none that is for sure. Let alone get to be drawn, a quite a few that I have talked with has gotten thiers for the first time as well. I have found calling them out is easier during the hunt you have so good luck to you. I am hoping to have some great luck as well. I will be beating my way around those back roads as well my friend. I have help quite a few get loaded on to the trucks and trailers over the past years..
Old 06-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Great luck with the draw Phil. Good things happen to good people and now your luck is changing. Enjoy the day!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Spike

Just got back from my Moose hunt and I am glad to say I was success-full on the opening day with a 560 lb. dressed, 30" rack bull. Shot with my Winchester Mod 70 338 winmag with Boss and my own reloads of 225 grain spire point interlock. We busted brush till about 1:30 and took a break at the truck to have a little something to eat. While sitting there here come this, it looked like a giant woolly mammoth to me, bull stopping just off the edge of the woods looking at us. I jumped out of the truck, grabbed a few rounds and get one in the chamber, getting to the edge of the road asking Giby, my uncles brother in law who was guiding me, if it looked like a shooter and he said it looked good and if I was going to shoot do it now before another car came up the road and it took off back the way it came. The location of it made my decision for me so I took the shot, he was quartering towards me so I got the shot as close to the shoulder as I could. He just walked out like nothing happened. The next one he was crossing directly across and the I put the shot right thru both lungs, he shuttered a little and walked away. I put another one in the same spot and he just walked into the woods like nothing happened. All this happened in 20-30 seconds max. Going back to the truck we decide to wait a little prior to going after him. My father in law went up to where he went into the woods and said we don't have to wait he was right there. 100 feet into the woods exactly, that is the length of the cable on the winch we used to get him out. Here are a few Pics.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

good job, ya I don't get why guys who have applied for 10+ years ever quit applying...

I've heard numerous accounts of guys with 10sheep pts etc... who quit years ago....
Aside from not having money to apply, I'd never stop building pts, especially when I have 20pts etc...
Old 10-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jarv442
Just got back from my Moose hunt and I am glad to say I was success-full on the opening day with a 560 lb. dressed, 30" rack bull. Shot with my Winchester Mod 70 338 winmag with Boss and my own reloads of 225 grain spire point interlock.
Congrats to you!! It is great to see that you had good luck as well..

My sub and I agreed long before the hunt the first bull we see would be taken. I regret that in some ways though as I wanted a big rack for a keep sake of our hunt.. I am still glad to get one as well as being able to give it a try anyways.. Here is the story to it and a pic to follow threw..

We started out around 15 minutes later than planned so we never really started hunting at the time I wanted to. We drove down a dirt road and stopped and talked to a logger and a mechanic that was working on a log truck. I asked them if they had been seeing any moose on the roads. They stated not for a while. The road that we was on we traveled for a total of 5 1/2 miles and turned left and drove for another 2 1/2 miles before turning a right into an old cutting from a year and a half ago. We drove into this road for roughly 1 mile and stopped to try calling as there was fresh moose tracks in the mud. ( I had found this place scouting earlier. )
I called and we wiated for about 15 minutes with a steady wind blowing. I did not think 1 would come to the calling because of the wind. We then drove into the rest of the road, which was about another mile. When we drove back out to where I was calling a moose was standing in the cutting. The moose was only about 20 yards from us but due to the leaves we couldn't see any antlers. So we thought this was a cow moose. I tried calling some more hoping to see a bull that I thought should of been with her. When she was about 45 yards I thought I could see a small set of antlers but wasn't sure. When it got out to around 65 yards on a ridge we both could see the antlers then.
My sub mentioned our agreement that the first bull we see would be shot. So I said go ahead then as that was what we had agreed to ealier on. He shot it with a Savage 30-06 using a 150 grain bullet. He shot it low into the front shoulder and the moose ran about another 65 yards into the woods. I went in and tracked it. It had left no blood trail but was fairly easy to find because of the size of its tracks. I came across some rasberry bushes that looked like the moose had a hard time going threw them. I turned and looked to my left and there was the moose laying there. It was killed by the first shot. Upon field dressing it I discovered both lungs to look OK as well as the heart. The bullet did enter the ribcage just in front of the heart and lungs so I am thinking he got lucky and hit the main artery to the heart and that is why it died quickly.
Now let me tell you trying to drag an animal this size out of the Maine woods up here is not an easy task. We did get him out after 5 1/2 hours of steady work using a come-a-long, chains, and rope. But we did it and mission accomplished even though I would of like to try for a bigger moose with a wall hanger rack that tourists would like as well as myself..

P.S. I was using a Quakerboy Cow Grunt tube that I purchased about 20 years ago and it still works great today. I let a friend use it ealier this year and he got a 6 pointer with it. He was very happy with the results of this call. Now he wants to record me using the call. So, that he can get one out during the rest of his hunts in the future. He is an Indian that can hunt yearly and is around 70 years old. I have known him for quite some time and we have been great friends over the years..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 10-19-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on your moose hunt. He'll eat mighty fine!

A pic of me with the moose I called in for my partner. Friday am week awoke to a hard frost, headed to a spot that has proved itself over the years. We set up with the wind on our nose adjacent to a pine ridgeline on the opposite side of the creek. As the sun arose we could see across the creek that a moose had been their earlier as the frost was knocked of the vegetation. I figured we may have actually spooked him, so I started cow calling. My second set of cow calls I got a response from the ridge and after a few pleading calls he was on his way. My partner stayed put as I backed up into the willows to continue calling. My partner knew it would be best if the bull came across the creek to us but I wasn't to sure he could hold out being he hasn't killed many bulls in his life. Still sticking with the cow calls the bull apeared but hung up a touch, appearing nervous about not seeing miss. I decieded to get a little agressive with him and grunted a few times which brought him crashing out. Then using a shoulder blade I started raking the willows and then presented a flash of the blade for a visual. That was all he could take and he came a huffing, my partner put 1 in the base of the neck as he came trotting towards us, the bull dropped 30 yards or so from his position. He was shaking pretty bad and it took him a few minutes to calm to let out a yell...of that was freaky awesome! His first one who actually charged in. Special thanks to a bull who was cooperative this time, we were able to hook onto him with the ATV and pull him out of the muck to the trail vs dealing with him in the bush.
Attached Thumbnails  I finally got drawn!!-moose.jpg  
Old 10-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

Congratulations to you on your moose hunts!

Quick Reply: I finally got drawn!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.