Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need mulie help....

Old 06-16-2009, 02:28 AM
Spike

Default Need mulie help....

Im looking for some info on where I could have a good chance on a D.I.Y public land mule deer. what state or areas to focus on, and even personal experiences. Thanks for all you may be able to help me with.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need mulie help....

Well let me first say: There are one hundred options here!

The best advice I can give you is to subscribe to Eastman's Hunting Journal. Their magazine gives more information then you can imagine!

With that said, I have only hunted Idaho for Mule deer. I am from their. There are some great deer, and tags are easy to come by. Check out the Idaho Department of fish and game web site. They have a program called Access Idaho. Basically it gives people the opportunity to hunt awesome private ground. That is were I would start.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am orginally from Arizona, and for the last 30 years Az has always been good to us as far as muleys go...but like someone has said...there are alot of places that rate high.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:26 AM
Fork Horn

Ifn you were thinking Colorado, mulies are 100% draw tags. You had to put in for them back in April. They have reduced the numbers of them too!
Dan
Old 06-18-2009, 04:33 AM

At this late date, you'd have to find a state that has either over-the-counter tags or a late drawing. I know here in Wyoming the non-resident application period ended March 15th. In fact that drawing's results will be posted this coming Monday.
However, there is a late drawing starting on July 7th for leftover tags. Best bet is to go to http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/09Apps/09NRIAEDAInfo.pdfand the G&F home site and research the regs.
Most of Wyoming is public land. BLM, National Forrest, State held land, etc. There are also many private properties you can hunt called "Walk-In" areas listed on the G&F site. That link is called "public access".
Unless you apply, draw, and then know where you can hunt, I'd have little to add as to the deer hunting there. Mulies are all over the state. And some big'uns too!!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

At this late date, you'd have to find a state that has either over-the-counter tags or a late drawing. I know here in Wyoming the non-resident application period ended March 15th. In fact that drawing's results will be posted this coming Monday.
However, there is a late drawing starting on July 7th for leftover tags. Best bet is to go to http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/09Apps/09NRIAEDAInfo.pdf and the G&F home site and research the regs.
Most of Wyoming is public land. BLM, National Forrest, State held land, etc. There are also many private properties you can hunt called "Walk-In" areas listed on the G&F site. That link is called "public access".
Unless you apply, draw, and then know where you can hunt, I'd have little to add as to the deer hunting there. Mulies are all over the state. And some big'uns too!!
Actually they are being sold first come, first served. If there are leftovers you can buy them online.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:20 AM

ORIGINAL: johsides

Actually they are being sold first come, first served. If there are leftovers you can buy them online.
Begging to differ felow Cowboy . . . but maybe you are refering to the "Reduced doe/fawn" deertags for specific areas. Once that drawing is over, you can buy any left over tags over-the-counter at a licencing agent within that hunht area. Same with leftover doe/faw Antelope tags.

In any event, our fellow show-me-state hunter is prettty much SOL if wanting to hunt Wyoming at this late date.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Spike

Colorado's drawing is done but they have a left over application time frame that has to be in by 7/7/09. get on the websight and figure out how to get the left over list and apply. And I think Nebraska still sells over the counter first come first served but do not know when you can start applying there, but public ground is more of a barrier there. hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

OK now: The real truth of the Wyoming thing is, the first and only drawing is due for non-residents March 15 of each year by 5 p.m. in the office at Cheyenne. The drawing is done the last week of June usually. This year the tags left after the one and only draw for full price tags will be available on a first come first served basis on July 7 at 8 a.m. at any connected license sales agent, any regional office or state office and on line. It is recommended to go to the Game and fish web site early to make sure you have your name in the system so you can get the license purchased that you want. There is no more second draw. This is the first year for this type of license distribution. I am betting on a server crash at the Game and Fish at 8:01 a.m. July 7.
Now for setting hunting plans at this late date. There are lots of opportunities to hunt at this late date. NM has several tags if you can make a connection with a landowner tag. Colorado should have hundreds if not thousands of leftover tags and Wyoming will have hundreds if not thousands left over as well. Just do the research and you can find lots of opportunities. I believe there are some in Montana and Washington and Idaho also. Utah and others have some left and not all of them are rediculously expensive. Also this there is a bad economy problem and there are even some good bargains out there too. You could even go to some of the Canadian provinces too. If you are going to go with an outfitter, this is the year to make a deal.
Good luck.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

ORIGINAL: johsides

Begging to differ felow Cowboy . . . but maybe you are refering to the "Reduced doe/fawn" deer tags for specific areas. Once that drawing is over, you can buy any left over tags over-the-counter at a licencing agent within that hunht area. Same with leftover doe/faw Antelope tags.

In any event, our fellow show-me-state hunter is prettty much SOL if wanting to hunt Wyoming at this late date.
Actually, they changed the rules again this year and they are sold first come, first served. Read the info on the G&F website.

Quick Reply: Need mulie help....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.