HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Fathers Day gift ideas for Elk Hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/295825-fathers-day-gift-ideas-elk-hunt.html)

crystallee 06-11-2009 05:00 PM

Fathers Day gift ideas for Elk Hunt

My dad, two of his friends, and I are going on an elk hunt this fall. I would like to get him a nice gift this Father's Day that will come in handy on the hunt, but since this is our first elk hunt, I am a little clueless. We have all the deer and turkey hunting stuff you could ever think of. We are going near Durango in the late fall, so it will be cold. Any must have items anyone can suggest? I'd like to keep it around $100.
Thanks,
Crystal

KonaBoy 06-11-2009 05:22 PM

RE: Fathers Day gift ideas for Elk Hunt

Does he have a GPS? I'm sure it'd come in handy on any hunt, I'm not sure how much an eTrex Legend runs anymore, but it's a solid little unit

crbaker123 06-11-2009 05:23 PM

Meat Pack!!!!!
Get a backboard style pack.
They dont seem like much but if you guys get an elk you will see why a backboard for packing meat is useful.
it will save your back so much.
just cut an elk into quarters and strap a quarter to it they are so easy to use and weigh very little but are very strong.
u can find them pretty cheap too they have a big price range
u might even be able to get two of them for around 100 bucks.
just my two cents but i think they are absolutely necessary!

ebonyhunting 06-11-2009 06:03 PM

Your Father needs a Cow Call. They have several brands and types. The one I have is a squeeze type. It is small and convenient and doesn't weigh much for those long hikes into the forest.
They only cost anywhere from 30 to 50 dollars. Check you sporting goods centers for a elk call and he will need which ever one you choose.

SouthDakotaHunter 06-11-2009 06:31 PM

Nice LED Headlamp
Day Pack
Nice sleeping bag
Therma rest sleeping pad
Water Purifier (get pump style - not gravity fed)
GPS
Bugle
Cow Call
If archery could get Montana cow decoy

salukipv1 06-11-2009 07:27 PM

how about getting hime a hoochie mama?

Champlain Islander 06-12-2009 04:29 AM

how about getting hime a hoochie mama?
A great cow call that is easy to use and it works real well.
Like was said a pack frame. I am not sure if you will be going with an outfitter or DIY but a good quality pack frame is essential for getting meat out of the wilderness. I bought a frame and pack combo from Cabelas and it is great. I have helped pack out 7 elk in 3 years with it.

[align=right]
[/align]

Phil from Maine 06-12-2009 04:47 AM

First of all welcome to the forums!

I think the suggested pack frame and cow call would be something great to get him if he doesn't already have them..
Perhaps a bugle call as well, but definately go with a cow call.. Good luck on what you decide as well as the hunting..

Muliefever 06-12-2009 05:29 AM

ORIGINAL: SouthDakotaHunter

Nice LED Headlamp
Day Pack
Nice sleeping bag
Therma rest sleeping pad
Water Purifier (get pump style - not gravity fed)
GPS
Bugle
Cow Call
If archery could get Montana cow decoy

South D. hit the nail on the head with this one!
You could get him most of those things for around $100...

spuddog 06-12-2009 10:42 AM

Crystallee - depending where you're from and what you've been hunting, you all might be doing a lot more walking/hiking that you're used to. Might I suggest a gym membership, or money toward a new pair of boots if needed.

If you go for the day pack I would suggest looking for one with a 2 ltr water bladder or that is as least hydration pack compatible. Staying hydrated at altitude is very critical.

If he's been sitting in stands all winter he probably has really thick heavy gloves. I've found that a well made pair of ragg wool gloves (no thinsulate)with the dotted grip on the palm to be just about perfect for when you are active and walking around.

You might also consider a pair of shooting sticks.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to get him.

Spud