Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 want to go eld hunting where? >

want to go eld hunting where?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

want to go eld hunting where?

Old 05-31-2009, 06:06 PM
Spike

Default RE: want to go eld hunting where?

I think 5 days is entirely too short. I live out here and I always take more than 5 days when I get serious about elk.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: davidf

I want to go elk hunting. I have never been. I would like to bow hunt. I am 43 and am in good phy. cond. I have always deer, duck, turkey hunted. Where is the best place to go? What outfitter? I cannot take 8 days and go I would need to be gone a max of 5 days.

Several have commented about this...but you have some pretty big obstacles/hurdles here...

1.) only canned elk hunts can deliver in the timeline that you want...Elk hunting, despite magazines, is all abotu the experience, not the kill...
2.) no matter how good of physical condition you think you are...mountains dont care....
3.) if you dont have the time, dont waste the money...Elk are like kids...quality time is good but quantity is all that really matters...
4.) Best place...refer to #1 if your with friends, and the journey is good, that is the best palce (and not even trying to be sappy, just fact)

JMO, but, I live out west, and have hunted most western states...and you can find great bulls in every state...most of it depends upon what you think is great, and what you want...but none of the states will give you an easy bull (unless you are insanely lucky, or enough money to pay others to scout and track them down for you)

either way you go, have fun enjoy the west, it is the best!!
Old 05-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Fork Horn

I wanna throw in a bit, I am 45 and going after Elk in sept. for first time. Wife's long time friends hubby a lifer hunting elk in OR. Bought my tags/lic. online at state web page. We will be on public land but very remote, they keep a campsite maintained there and hunt it each year. I had never considered a 2000 mi one way trip to hunt, butit fell together and I was overjoyed. I put in for a vacation of 2 wks. and have started to work on endurance for the walking. David, I dont know about you, but for me this is a once in a lifetime event... I wish I had 4wks of vac. time avalible for this !!! Point is, why go to the trouble to get it all planned out for a great time, then short change yourself from the start?
I dont know about you, but my trip may be my last, or it may be the first of many to come.... thing is you never know what lies ahead... And just between us, they are gonna have to pick me up kicking and screaming, and stuff my rear back in the plane to get me to go home!!!
I already know I am going to have a great time...because I am getting to go.....
Old 06-04-2009, 07:25 AM

What is a "bow hunting certification" exactly? I'm going to hunt there in Idaho maybe next year. I don't think Fla offers that kind of course, Hunter saftey yes but ..........?