HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Help choosing a hunting rifle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/294483-help-choosing-hunting-rifle.html)

Jazzy41 05-20-2009 06:49 PM

Help choosing a hunting rifle

I am new to hunting and was wondering what would be a good rifle to start out with. I have looked atseveral 30-06 but am unsure what route to go, either bolt action or semi-auto. As far as brands, not sure if I want a Marlin XL-7, a Stevens, a Ruger M77, a Remington, or Mossenberg 4x4......I have also been told to check into a REM 7MM. Any advice would be greatly appreciate. I was told that just because a rifle is a cheaper price like the Marlin, doesn't mean that it is a bad gun...

KonaBoy 05-20-2009 07:02 PM

RE: Help choosing a hunting rifle

If you don't have one already, buy a .22 first and get the shooting basics down. The absolute worst thing you can do is to buy a gun with too much recoil right off the bat. If you have a .22, ignore that ;) The 06' will handle anything in N.A. with the proper bullets. However, if you're only going to be shooting deer, you'd be just as well off with something smaller like a .270. Either one are "standards" that have proven track records. As for a rifle choice, Steven's have an excellent reputation for excellent out of the box shooters. Hope this helps,

Cory

ADV. Hunter 05-20-2009 07:05 PM

That is my opinion too jazzy; just because it doesn't sell for 800-900 dollars doesn't mean it is bad. Personally I have a mossberg 100 ATR and it is super accurate. I got rid of my other Winchester model 70 feather weight in 300 win mag after buying this rifle, I love it in 270. If I were to buy a mag rifle again I believe it would be in 7mm.

Jazzy41 05-20-2009 07:14 PM

I would like to have something that I can also hunt Elk with in the future.Is a 7mm to much? Thanks for the advice.

Jazzy41 05-20-2009 07:18 PM

So if I am just hunting Deer I should stay around 270 and not waste the extra power.

seattlesetters 05-20-2009 07:25 PM

The .270 Win is just fine for elk. It is a proven performer on all the game fields of the world. Pretty hard to go wrong with one...and as long as you like the rifle and it shoots well, it doesn't matter one bit whether you spent $400 on it or $4,000.

ADV. Hunter 05-20-2009 07:43 PM

What seattle said! I have taken two elk with my 270 (the mossberg 100 ATR) which between the rifle the scope the sling and two boxes of ammo cost me right at $500 and it is a proven game taker. Elk, mule deer, and bear! One of my mule deer was a 300+ yard shot and tea kettled him where he stood. Elk last season 08 was a 295 yard shot one shot dropped him. My hunting companion was hunting with a 270 he borrowed from a friend and his was a 235 yard shot one shot; same rifle the owner of said rifle took a 6x7 bull 465 yard shot shot him four times (3 too many as the first was a kill shot) so the 270 is adaquit for elk. Many disagree but I have and so have many many people taken elk with this caliber. No the 7mm is not to big for an elk or a deer just have to shoot lighter or heavier bullets for the intended game.

skeeter 7MM 05-20-2009 09:07 PM

I have also harvested elk and moose with a .270, however I always felt I needed to restrict myself in distance and especially shooting angle. At the time my choices were basically Nosler Part. and Winchester failsafes.A few more now however I am still of the opinion if your looking at a single rifle to huntlarger thendeer sized game then you should be looking at the .284 and up calibers. Assuming you won't be reloading you should also consider cartridge choices that offer a range of bullet for possible uses. In the .284 class the 7mm rem mag is the most popular/available of the bunch. In the .308 class the 3006 sprg is the most popular, however goodavailability for the 300wm, 300wsm and 308win exist as well. Recoil might be a concern so the 300 wm & 300wsm present the most recoil of these listed. The7 RMand 3006sprg are really pretty close, though 7mm rem mag is a little sharper 7 louder which give the impression of slightly more recoil. The 308win would be the least of the bunch, though it also is the least powerful so stands to reason recoil numbers will be lower.

In terms of the 7mm rem mag it has been my all arounder choice off and on for a number of yearsI have harvested antelope to moose. Close to longrange. Normal to tough slugging conditions have been put in front of its path and it's always performed. My 7mm rem mag has basically become my deer rifle, sinceI moved in a .338wm for elk, moose & future large game(big bears, etc). For my deer hunting needsThe 7mm rem maghas always been a good fit and I know it works for larger as well (nice fallback option);). I have owned 300's &3006 which were equally qualified as an all arounder, just liked the rem mag a tad moreand thus it stuck.

As far as which rifle, fit and feel are the most important thing to choosing which one you buy. Get out and shoulder as many as possible or within your budget, the list will shorten I'm sure!

907Alaska 05-20-2009 10:18 PM

When I do hunt with a gun, out of all of mine, I prefer my .270, has performed very well for me over the years.

sclwald 05-21-2009 05:15 AM

If you are looking for an all around gun and see in your future only owning one gun for awhile get a .270, 30-06, or 7MM. Good all around calibers.