Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Help choosing a hunting rifle >

Help choosing a hunting rifle

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Help choosing a hunting rifle

Old 05-23-2009, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help choosing a hunting rifle

If I was only going to hunt deer (whitetail and mulies), I would definately buy a 270. that is the first rifle that I bought, and I still use it frequently.

However, If I were just starting out and felt pretty sure that elk were in my future, I would choose the 30-06 or the 7mm rem. mag.

All three calibers have relatively cheap ammo (compared to less popular calibers) that can be bought over the counter almost everywhere.

If I really had to choose one caliber, it would be the 30-06. You can buy the remington 125 gr. reduced recoil that kicks about like a 243, the 150-165 grain bullets for big deer and the 180 gr for elk. Hornady sells a "light magnum" 180 gr that has as much power as a regular 300 win mag.

As far as brands of rifle, you probably would be all right with any of the brands mentioned. I have winchester, remington, and ruger, and feel that these are quality firearms. I hear good things about Marlin, but have never owned one. Look for a sale, but remember, this is an investment that will last a lifetime, so if buying quality means another 100 dollars, just wait till you can afford it. After all, it will last you a long time. That 270 I bought is now 34 years old and still going strong.

Just remember, even if you think this will be the only rifle you will ever buy, chances are you will buy another at some point, so there really is no wrong decision here. I now have a .17, 22, 222, 243, 270, 30-06, 7mm, and a 338 win mag........ not to mention the 3 muzzloaders I have. D###, I need a bigger gun safe!LOL.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

With factory foder there just isn't much difference between a 270Win and a 7RM.With handloads the big 7 gains the upper hand by a good margin.I've killed elk with both and with a good bullet placed in the vitals you'll have a very dead elk.

I'd also take a hard look at Weatherby's Vanguard for $399......best deal out there right now IMO.

Brett
Old 05-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hunter5325

I'd also take a hard look at Weatherby's Vanguard for $399......best deal out there right now IMO.

Brett
Agreed. The very best value out there, IMHO. I recently bought one (SS model) in .270 Win.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Spike

It's the hunter, not the gun.
I've killed 5 elk with 30-06, 4 with a .300 Win Mag and 3 with a .338. I currently hunt with 300, but I've thought about going back to the 30-06 as I get older because it has less kick.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:34 AM
Typical Buck

I'd have to agree johnsides it is about the man behind the trigger a cannon won't help some people.

I'd stick with the 270 or 30-06 if i was picking a beginners rifle. I'd also practice with the 22lr and learn to breath and squeeze the trigger it will make you a better shot. And it's a lot cheaper on ammo.

If you hit off group up and down it's breathing. If you hit off group left or right it's trigger pull. Welcome to the world of guns and hunting jazzy.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:25 AM

One more thing to consider at this point in time is the availability of ammo. I haven't seen much 06 on the shelves at wal-mart here recently, or 7mm, but I do see 270 everywhere I go.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Spike

I would look into a Browining A Bolt Stalker in a .270 WSM with a 140 Nosler Accubond at 3200 fps. Then top it with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14X 50mm Long Range with a Boone and Crocket Reticle and you will have a light weight, fast, flat, accurate big game rifle capable of nearly anything in North America at most ranges to 600 yards.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:48 AM
Spike

600 yards is way too far to be shooting a 140 grain .270 bullet and expecting a clean kill.
It's people like this that give hunters a bad name.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:38 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: johsides

600 yards is way too far to be shooting a 140 grain .270 bullet and expecting a clean kill.
It's people like this that give hunters a bad name.
Unbelivable that someone would run their mouth like this. A .270 WSM with a 140 grain controlled expansion, high weight retention bullet will smoke the biggest bull at 600 yards ifthe shooter is capable of the shot. I train rifle shooters year round. My students take gameyearlyat distance.It is all about equipment, skill and practice.Match muzzle velocity with ballistic coefficient and bullet choice. Come out to Utah and I will help you fine tune your shooting skills at distance. I am all about ethics.Take the shot that you are confident you can make. Make the first shot count! Know the ballistics of your gun. Simple as that.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

"If the shooter is capable of the shot"

That IS the rub isn't it. I worry that some youngsters out there in their "invincible" age may read your post and think they are capable of doing what you are doing. I havesuspect that you are capable of taking an ethical shot at that distance, but the other 99 out of 100 of us are not.

Here is a link to your ammo: http://www.federalpremium.com/products/compare/rifle_compare.aspx

Marginal energy at that distance means you will have to hit him in the boiler room.You may not get the job done with a shoulder bone hit. With the drop and wind drift (close to2 feet at600 yards in a 10 mile an hour wind) the only people who could reliably make that shot are those that have the time to practice, practice, practice and have an inate ability to shoot. Most of us don't have the time or the skills and never will. Is the animal going to take a step, is that wind 10 or 15 mph, how much above/below me is he, did my rangefinder give me an accurate reading, are all variables in an equation that leads to a clean kill or wounding/miss. I certainly won't say it is unethical for you to take the shot, but certainly it is for me and the vast majority of us.

And of course, the real question asked: Does it bullet have enough power to take an elk at that distance if thehit becomes marginal for whatever reason. If I am taking the shot, the answer is no.

Quick Reply: Help choosing a hunting rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.