Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

338 win mag rifle

Old 05-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 338 win mag rifle

I owned a .338 Win Mag and must admit recoil was too much for me. I never did comfortable shooting that thing....I've been kicked by racehorses that didn't hurt as much as that .338 Win Mag.

The thing I dislike most about hard-kicking rifles is they are very difficult to shoot from the most accurate field position: prone. You just can't always get enough of your shoulder/body behind it depending on where you're trying to quickly set up for the shot. The result is often a bloody face courtesy of the "magnum eyebrow." I sold that blunderbuss off and kept shooting elk with my .270 Wby Mag.

I just purchased a .338 Federal which will serve as my woods elk gun, and a .270 Win will be the long range rig.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mehus

pats, how do you like the magnaporting? Does it affect accuracy at all?

It doesn't affect the accuracy enough for a elk rifle. I can put them all in a 10" paper plate at 300 yards. I can shoot it off the bench in a t shirt, it kicks like a 30-06. I never noticed the noise when I had a bull in the crosshairs either. I carry it in a rifle scabbard on a horse, so its nice not having that extra inches on the end of the barrel a brake adds. I don't see myself buying another magnum any time in the near future, but if I do I wouldn't haveanyissues about getting it magnaported.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I never noticed the noise when I had a bull in the crosshairs either.
The same can be said for any rifle I have ever shot in regards to recoil.

I hope you wear ear protection when hunting as well as with the range, since most hunters want the wind on their nose not the game that puts your ears in the danger zone of the extra blast send rearward via the porting. Folks,your kidding yourself if you think it can't happen on a single blast!! I happen to know first hand[].
Old 05-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own a .340 Wby. Mag., and all my kills have been on shot. Good luck.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

I never noticed the noise when I had a bull in the crosshairs either.
The same can be said for any rifle I have ever shot in regards to recoil.

I hope you wear ear protection when hunting as well as with the range, since most hunters want the wind on their nose not the game that puts your ears in the danger zone of the extra blast send rearward via the porting. Folks,your kidding yourself if you think it can't happen on a single blast!! I happen to know first hand[].
I could never tell an increase in noise when I was behind the barrel. When you stood aside one at about 45 degrees backfrom the muzzle is when you get rocked if you weren't ready.