Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Looking for Info on how to setup an Elk hunt for biginner >

Looking for Info on how to setup an Elk hunt for biginner

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Looking for Info on how to setup an Elk hunt for biginner

Old 05-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default Looking for Info on how to setup an Elk hunt for biginner

I was wondering if someone with many years Moose & Deer hunting could do an Elk hunt without having to pay lots of money to an outfitter.

A little background to my situation might help. My Dad is in his late 70's and has expressed an interest in elk. Elk has always been a passion for me as well but living in Ontario Canada limits my chances to pursue them. I know that my Dad will not have the ability to fulfill this interest in very many years.

What I would really like to know is ............... what are the chances to hunt on public land (no set location yet, choose that later). Are there generally guides that can hunt this way without the high cost of an outfitter. Not including my traveling costs, what hunting costs can I expect to incur on a hunt like this.

I know that this will probably be a once in a life time hunt for me and my dad so I think that a local Guide would be best and not going it solo. But cost will also be a very limited factor in if we get to go or not. Any advice given would be gratefully received and used in decided where to go and even if this dream might be able to come true.

Thanks again.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Looking for Info on how to setup an Elk hunt for biginner

There are places in Colorado and other states that are drop type camps where they will pack you in and out but put you in the area.You will have to decide and check to see if the tags are over the counter or draw for the areas and states you are looking at.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Spike

Got any relatives in Alberta? Or good friends there that hunt? Alberta is a good choice for this if you do. Talk to them. Also try sporting goods shops there for contacts that might lead you in the direction of someone willing to help you fullfill this dream of an elk hunt with your father. You might be surprised.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for your suggestions. I do have relatives in Alberta and I will look into contacting them, but I did want to have some knowledge before I did that. I also did not want to close my options to other locations. Cost is a factor, but the most important factor will be the chance of success (yes I know that hunting is hunting, but some areas have a better chance for success then others).

Thanks again.