Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Washington or Oregon Elk anyone? >

Washington or Oregon Elk anyone?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Washington or Oregon Elk anyone?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:42 AM

Default Washington or Oregon Elk anyone?

I haven't posted here in quite a while. It's nice to see some familiar screen names.

Anyway, my name is Angie, I'm 24 and I've recently moved into Portland, Oregon from Northwestern Wisconsin. I'm interested in hunting the Pacific Northwest. I have a huge desire to go Elk or Mulie hunting this fall, but I don't know the first way of going about getting a license (new resident, out of state), where to hunt, et cetera.

If anyone is in the area and is taking a day to go scouting or wants to chat feel free to let me know. I'm open to any and all advice at this point, as I don't know much about the region.

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Washington or Oregon Elk anyone?

I believe oregon's best elk tags are OTC...

I'd certainly apply for a res sheep tag every year is a chance!

just checkout both OR and WA fish n games website...download the hunting manual and read up, pretty quickly you'll get an idea of the system.

Start building pts this year for OR antelope too! SE oregon, NW NV, NE CA....a great antelope zone...

Old 04-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Yep!!! stay in Oregon untill you get your feet wet or U grow webbed feetif U're on the coast LOL!!!!!! Washington is going to be kinda costy ....over $700 for deer and elk nonresident!!! We do have lots of elk and muledeertags OTC!!
Old 04-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Spike

One of the biggest elk racks I've ever seen(that wasn't at a show or in a magazine anyway) was hanging on a barn outside of John Day OR. I never realized Oregon had elk that large until I saw that rack. I guess it's possible that it was shot somewhere else, but the fact that it was hanging outside on a barn makes me think it was shot by a local.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

The two biggest Rocky Mountain elk I've ever seen were hanging out together in Central Washington. Both 7x7s would have easily made the book. It was about a week out of season...we watched them work their way up a very steep and narrow canyon, at one point passing within about 70 yards of our hidden position.

A week earlier and a rifle in my hand instead of a shotgun, I'd have my name in B&C!