Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado? >

Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?

Old 06-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?

ORIGINAL: jdhogg

colorado lucky dog.this is a 14 yr old that is asking the question here in THIS THREAD.im sure you have an arsenal of magnums but just for a minute be real!lets offer the kid some good advise instead of bragging about what YOU shoot.
I'm not bragging about nothing there bucko. Here is the advice I offered the guy in the very first response to this thread. Talking about what you shoot and what you feel is best is not bragging unless the person reading it has some underlying issues. What are your's?

Best and affordable can't be put into the same post.

Best -300 Remington Ultra Mag (Very Best In My Opinion)

Affordable- 30.06 (affordable and very effective)

Old 03-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Spike

Default Montana cartridges

I have found that the .30-06 with 180grain gamekings has done everything I have ever asked it to do here in Montana. It has killed deer and elk with authority out to 300 yards. HOWEVER...I handload and have taken alot of time working up a load for my rifle and have spent the time to practice at the long ranges that are often required out here. Another good choice is the 7mm Rem. Mag. Ammo in a variety of bullet weights and varieties is easily found. I also handload for this cartidge and have found it to be an incredibly accurate and powerful round. I think in the end the thing that truly matters WAY beyond cartidge or rifle choice is shot placement. The power of a cartridge or the construction of a bullet will SOMETIMES make up for poor shot placement. Excellent shot placement almost always makes up for a lack there of in the realm of reason. Choose a decent medium caliber (.27-.30) and shoot it well and you will be fine. I know alot of guys who swear by the .22-250 for deer out here...not my choice for a good caliber...but I know they eat alot of venison anyhow.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

I consider the best elk caliber is the one you can shoot a grapefruit with at 300yards. The rest will all come together after that. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's some food for thought;

http://elkhunter2.tripod.com/

I like the 7MM RM myself, but you should always bring a back-up on important hunts

............the .30-06 is one of the best all around North American big game hunting calibers.

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-24-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
but you should always bring a back-up on important hunts

............the .30-06 is one of the best all around North American big game hunting calibers.
X2