Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado? >

Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?

Old 05-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?

I hate recoil. My 300 RUM kicks less than your or my 30.06. Now what??
Old 05-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let's look at it this way. Your hunting with your 30.06 or your .270. I'm out hunting with my 300 RUM. You get the perfect 300 yard shot! What do you know, so do I!! We both take the shot. Whats going to be going on with your bullet and mine when it gets to the elk??

1. Coefficient? about the same.
2. Velocity....mine will be faster.
2. Energy....mine will have more.
3. Bullet drop... mine will be flatter and have less.
4. Recoil..... mine has less.

Now tell me how yours is better?

Edit- I should add. The longer the distance, the more advantage I would have.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

Then you have changed the equation. You've gone to expense to make the .300 RUM cartridge more like a .270 Win...so it is easier to shoot.

Proves my point perfectly.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

Let's look at it this way. Your hunting with your 30.06 or your .270. I'm out hunting with my 300 RUM. You get the perfect 300 yard shot! What do you know, so do I!! We both take the shot. Whats going to be going on with your bullet and mine when it gets to the elk??

1. Coefficient? about the same.
2. Velocity....mine will be faster.
2. Energy....mine will have more.
3. Bullet drop... mine will be flatter and have less.
4. Recoil..... mine has less.

Now tell me how yours is better?

Edit- I should add. The longer the distance, the more advantage I would have.
Dead is dead. It doesn't matter if the bullet came from a .270 or a .300 RUM that has been modified so it can be shot better. No if that .300 RUM hadn't been modified, then I give the nod to the guy with the .270 Win, hands-down.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love how you dodged the question. Let me answer it for you. Yours is not better. Mine is better in every statistic that there is. Magnums are superior in ballistics. The only thing you magnum haters can throw out there is recoil. Recoil is easily controlled.

I plan on hunting the timber this year with my Browning A-Bolt 30.06 for elk with a 220 grain bullet. It has a short barrel and I'm looking forward to killing an elk with it.

I also plan on mule deer huntingwithmy .270. I have it dialed in and it is shooting awesome.

I shoot magnums and non-magnums. I don't just shoot one and hate the other. To each his own. Shoot what you want. Just don't come around throwing out stupid scientific facts that are not facts at all.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: seattlesetters

Then you have changed the equation. You've gone to expense to make the .300 RUM cartridge more like a .270 Win...so it is easier to shoot.

Proves my point perfectly.
Changed the equation??? Like what...a trigger job, floating a barrel, a nicer scope, practicing calling, scent killer, scent cover.....on and on, we as hunters do our best to put the equations in our favor.

Now think about this....My buddy has the same exact 300 RUM that I have. His has no modifications. He still shoots better groups than me. Funny he shoots better groups than me with our .223's. He's just flat a better shot than me. In fact he's a better shot than most!

Bottom line is...recoil does not bother him at all. In fact, I know a lot of hunters recoil does not bother. If recoil does bother someone, it is easily reduced.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:54 PM

Now I wouldn't go and say things like that a magnum rifle doesn't have it's place out there. I can think of many situations where a magnum rifle would be the better choice than my 270 or 300 savage. I will say this much after owning a 7mm mag, a 300 win mag, and a 338, are all rifles I no longer own, why??? I just do not feel the need for such a large caliber, if the animal is that far that I need the big boy, I can most certainly get closer and be able to make my shot with the other rifle. I agree with both sides on this but the original post was pertaining to cost and such as a factor and I and most all of you will agree that a 270 round is by far cheaper than a 300 RUM. Not to mention the availability of 270 over the 300 RUM. I agree the 300 mags are a wonderful tool if one is able to practice with it and you can be just as accurate with a 338 as a 270 from the bench with the new bench rests made today but as far as an off hand shot I'll take the 270 or 300 savage or my 7.62x54r any day of the week.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ADV. Hunter

Now I wouldn't go and say things like that a magnum rifle doesn't have it's place out there. I can think of many situations where a magnum rifle would be the better choice than my 270 or 300 savage. I will say this much after owning a 7mm mag, a 300 win mag, and a 338, are all rifles I no longer own, why??? I just do not feel the need for such a large caliber, if the animal is that far that I need the big boy, I can most certainly get closer and be able to make my shot with the other rifle. I agree with both sides on this but the original post was pertaining to cost and such as a factor and I and most all of you will agree that a 270 round is by far cheaper than a 300 RUM. Not to mention the availability of 270 over the 300 RUM. I agree the 300 mags are a wonderful tool if one is able to practice with it and you can be just as accurate with a 338 as a 270 from the bench with the new bench rests made today but as far as an off hand shot I'll take the 270 or 300 savage or my 7.62x54r any day of the week.
ADV,Hunter, go back and read the second post in this thread. I told the guy that a 30.06 is his best choice if money was a factor.

I love a 30.06 and have dropped many an elk with one. If I had to choose only one center fire rifle it would be a 30.06.

I just can't stand people posting that magnums suck and that they are no better than conventional calibers. The truth is they are superior in ballistics and recoil is either not an issue or dealt with easily.

I have killed my last three bulls at less than 30 yards each. I could have killed them with a slingshot! (just kidding) However, I killed them with a 300RUM.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:14 PM

I did read your posts. I am just trying to show somewhat of an unbiased outlook on both the conventional and magnum rifles. I will say that at 30 yrds. I would imagine that would be a major cavitation wound on any animal, seeing as the bullet has not reached it desired spin/velocity and so on. Not that its a bad thing mind you; I'm not criticizing just asking? as I haven't ever shot one that close up. Hoping to do so this year with my bow. My closest shot on an elk was about 270-280 yards, which I took with my 270. I have shot many mule deer with my old 300 win mag but those were 300+ yard shots in terrible wind so I needed the extra punch of the mag in that instance. Now as I have gotten a little wiser in my short 32 years of age, 22 years of hunting now has taught me not that it can't be done at that distance but I don't want to have to shoot an animal that far and have it run 100 yards ( never has happened usually drop when shot) and have to go that much farther to get the animal and haul it all that way back to my rig. Not that I am lazy, I just believe in worken smarter not harder.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

.338 WM with 225grain Accubonds....atleast that is what works the best for me!! I love mine!!

Quick Reply: Best Elk Cartridge for hunting in Montana or Colorado?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.