Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

1st colorado hunt

Old 04-10-2009, 12:42 PM

Default 1st colorado hunt

going to colorado to hunt elk and mule. this is gonna be a diy hunt. gonna be in units 43 and 521. any and all help is welcomed...
Old 04-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 1st colorado hunt

Here is a link to the CDOW website and its GMUnit maps page. Very useful information in case you haven't researched it yet. Also, use Google Earth! It is a tremendous resource in getting a 3D view of the areas you want to investigate further. Get a good GPS unit and mark the coordinates of the areas you want to hunt.
I hunt GMU 43 for elk and I cannot stress to you enough of the importance of getting into tremendous shape, especially if you are from the flatlands. This unit is extremely steep! It is a wilderness area which in Colorado means foot traffic only or horseback. No wheeled vehicles or carts. Be prepared to backpack the meat out or hire an outfitter with horses. Good luck on your hunt!

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/GMUnitMaps.htm
Old 04-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree start now to get into condition. Packing out an elk is lots of fun but also a lot of hard work. Get a good quality pack frame.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:42 AM

I to am headed to colorodo in september, unit 62 private land, I really dont know what to expect but Im definetly excited!
Old 04-15-2009, 05:50 PM

There is some great DIY elk hunting info on www.tradrag.com Go to Elk Forum. Can't go wrong.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

I agree start now to get into condition. Packing out an elk is lots of fun but also a lot of hard work. Get a good quality pack frame.
I couldn't have said that any better myself.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

For an online mapping resource, and the capabilities of printing topo maps that are better quality than you can get from the USGS check out this link..... http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=39.20140,-107.29248&z=14&t=T

Also, get maps from the BLM don't waste your money with USGS maps or other resources, because the BLM maps are seriously as good as they come. A Colorado Atlas and Gazeteer is also a nice tool to have for rough map scouting, but the BLM maps have topo features, plus outling public land, blm land, and private land; therefore you know ahead of the game what areas are going to be off limits. I'll be hunting within a 100 miles of you, good luck.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:03 AM

huntdata.com has maps for gmu's here in Coloradothat include winter grounds, summer grounds, and migration routes overlayed on a low definition topo. No need to buy the CD. Just buy the paper map for your area. The paper maps actually have more info on them than what the CD provides. I get these maps and keep them in camp for planning and scouting, and carry regular high def topo's that I downloaded, printed, then laminated with 3 mil laminate. Keeps them foldable. You can buy the waterproof paper, but I like doing the lamination better if you have access to the equipment.

As for the Mule deer. Just find high sage plateau's. The big Mulies like it open with canyons and cover in between. Typically will not find the deer neer the Elk. IMHO
Old 05-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunted 521 around Electric Mountain and Chalk Mountain for about 10 years. Lately have been going up to the Flatops in Routt. Might head back to 521 this year.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Spike

We used to hunt in unit 43 southwest of Sunlight Ski area. If you go south out of Glenwood Springs take the CR117 road past the ski area. You'll end up in the White River national forest. That road goes all the way up to Twin Peaks. We used to stop short of those peaks and hunt Baylor Park and around Haystack gate.A storm rolled through there about 6 years ago and knocked down tons oftimber. Looked like a war zone. I know they were preparing to harvestall the downfall, so most of the game was being pushed out of there. Hunting the east side of that road and on up around Twin Peaks might be a good place totry. For years, we used to see tons of elk. Always had them run right past camp each year at 4 in the morning
As for maps, I use a program called TOPO with the Colorado module. That way I can printtopo maps in 5 different scales on waterproof paper of anywhere in the state!It also interfaces with my gps to upload anddownload waypoints, routes, etc....
If your tag is good for unit 43 only, be a little careful. Haystack Gate and BaylorPark are on the very western edge of that unit.

Quick Reply: 1st colorado hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.