Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 A take on outfitting the good and the bad. >

A take on outfitting the good and the bad.

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

A take on outfitting the good and the bad.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:02 AM
Spike

Default RE: A take on outfitting the good and the bad.

Amen on both sides !! Hey moderator, how bout keeping the above set up permanently. It has good guidelines for everyone - first timers to veteran.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree on many points. I honestly did not go over them all with a fine tooth comb, but they all looked good at first glance.

I would sum it up like this:

Outfitter: do your best before the hunt to communicate realistic expectations, and do your best to fulfill those expectations.

Hunter: everything else is up to you. If you don't want to be in shape, a good shot, etc, then don't be, but then you can'tcomplain in the end if those are the reasons you don't end up with a trophy.Also, don't balme the outfitter for plain old bad luck.

It seems from my experience that the biggest disconnect is typically in the communication of realistic expectations. Both sides are often at fault there as well.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

Good Post. I tend to agree with what is said. I have used outfitters before but i primarily do it myself ifi have the time.

However, i have never had success with an outfitter.Your comment on 350yard shots for elk is about right, to bad ive had outfitters try to get me to shoot past 700 yards cause there lazy.

I think that its the way of the world. Personally idont expect everything to be perfect, if it was id be a little confused. I just want my outfitter to work as hard as i am and to be honest. I take my hunting very seriously, when i am getting into shape i like to run 10 to 15miles 4 to 5 times a week, granted elevation is still a factor and i expect the same from my outfitter. As others have said if you tell me something in May about the hunt i expect it to be pretty close to what you said in September or October when i arrive. to often i have experienced random changes. Like your on a 1 on 1 hunt, and i get there and its 1 on 1 alright, right next to another 1 on 1. that cost me 5 x 6 on my last hunt, cause the other guide got greedy and wanted me to wait so his hunter could shoot something, we both went home empty handed.

I never come with the expectations of killing something. I hunt a lot and i have guided others, nothing is a given. To me i just want to see hard work a good time, and honesty. I have had some bad luck with outfitters but i know there is good ones out there and unfortuantly its cost me some money to figure that out and made me wary of who i will employ.

I think its great that people outfit and i know there are some people that are taking advantage of others. I try to make the most out of every situation and im not big on complaining although dont get mad at me if i want to push my guide and he wants to take a nap.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Cherokee...this reminds me of an article I read in (if I recall correctly) American Rifleman a while back. I believe the title of the article was "25 Sure-fire ways to p*ss off your hunting guide". You touched on just about the same things the article did. Well done!!

I'm not an outfitter but I do book hunts for a small group of themand one thing I constantly have to tell clients is..."We're selling hunts, NOT animals" and despite what the magazines may lead you to believe, a 400" bull is a pretty rare thing!!

Finally, one thing I might add is, it's still up to the hunter to do the research needed when going with an outfitter. I've been on two guided hunts and I believe spent more time learning about the outfitter than I did actuallyhunting with them...both experiences were fantastic and I would recommend those folks to anyone!!