Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 how to kill a bear quickly? >

how to kill a bear quickly?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

how to kill a bear quickly?

Old 08-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

You could always find a bear hunter and give him permission to hunt during bear season. It won't cost you anything and you may get some nice bear steaks in return. Food for thought (no pun intended).
Old 08-26-2013, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 30.06 will work great! Are you going to carry it on your back with a sling or in the front? When I'm hunting a rifle is all the protection I need but it is very accessible.

Even though the 30.06 is good medicine for black bears, it is not realistic to have one on your person 24/7.

If you are in real bear country with a real threat, the only way to fully protect yourself, is to have your protection with you at all times.

I'd choose a .357 minimum but I would probably have a 44 mag on my hip. Keeping bear spray close by would also be a good choice.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Been noticing the bear interest in people lately

I use to see a lot of bear closeup. Would stop; hold my position. They'd just moved on.

I guess the lack of a lot of food in my day pack and my lean frame might have had something to do with it.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with Colorado Luckydog for the most part. You're probably not going to carry a rifle around 24/7, and protection is useless if its not accessible. So, I'd probably opt for the bear spray first -- something you can keep in a handy pocket. Alternatively, some kind of pistol would do. While a 44 mag or 357 would be fine, I'd probably chose one of the bigger automatics, like a Glock 10mm, 45 or 40 S&W (or even a 9, it's only a black bear). They will give you more shots at a higher rate of fire, which, if your being charged and shooting all over the place, would be a good thing.

========
I also agree that you'll probably never have anything like this happen again.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just get a big can of bear spray. No need to kill it, because it's hungry. It's just being a bear.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys do realize this thread is over 4 years old. I wonder if the bear was resurrected like this thread???????
Old 08-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, I usually catch those things, and a 1st post noob brought it back up. Stupid!
Old 08-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

I remember a thread that was 10 years old that was brought back to life which got people all enraged.

Anyways, if you do carry a pistol, where do you shoot the bear? In the face? I just worry about the bullet penetration/lack thereof. Any thoughts?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chopayne
I remember a thread that was 10 years old that was brought back to life which got people all enraged.

Anyways, if you do carry a pistol, where do you shoot the bear? In the face? I just worry about the bullet penetration/lack thereof. Any thoughts?
Since its resurrected.

If a bear is charging you your not gonna get a clear shot at the chest with the constant up and down of the head. Aim for mid mass but you will more than anything hit the head.Their skulls are thick but do have weak points and its just luck to hit it right. That would be why most suggest a pistol for quicker follow up shots and even the shotgun.

resurrection away.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think the bear was charging him. Otherwise he never would have had time to close up the car, and get to the barn.

The bear was probably walking slowly to the food. He had no interest in a human.

Now, it would be different if it was a grizzly. Black bear? I don't think so.

Quick Reply: how to kill a bear quickly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.