Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 how to kill a bear quickly? >

how to kill a bear quickly?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

how to kill a bear quickly?

Old 03-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: how to kill a bear quickly?

Where in Southern Vermont?? That is a huge bear for VT, most in Southern VT tend to go around 200-250. Yes, you can shoot a bear anytime in defense of your property, but don't hang out a bird feeder then shoot one claiming defense (some wingnut already tried that). Most of the bears around my neighborhood will scoot at the first sign of humans, they mostly come out at night. I would bet that some one has been feeding that bear, once they equate humans with food, they will usually have to be killed. By the way, a 30-06 with 180 grain bullet is more that sufficient to get the job done.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:39 AM

Bears are mammals of the family Ursidae. Bears are classified as caniforms, or doglike carnivorans, with the pinnipeds being their closest living relatives. Although there are only eight living species of bear, they are widespread, appearing in a wide variety of habitats throughout the Northern Hemisphere and partially in the Southern Hemisphere. That which pertains to bears is called ursine. Bears are found in the continents of North America, South America, Europe, and Asia.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't let this scare you off the property! You will probably never have a problem again
I agree. This bear has associated food with humans In the past but I'd bet this same scenario will never come about again with a different bear.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:20 AM

ORIGINAL: forlan

Thanks all of you for your good answer.
I do have a lot of practice with that gun, on bottles, pumpkins and at the range. I'm pretty accurate with it at 40 yards without a scope. It's just that I've never used it under stress, like having a bear charging me for example! Ok, but all the advice makes sense. I believe that was a once in a lifetime incident, but better be ready than sorry. I'll keep the gun ready, by some spray and work on a fence while enclosing trash and food properly.
Thanks

Not many have had to try and shoot a bear in that circumstance. I however agree with all the others yes a 30-06 is more than adequate for any bear with a well placed shot; but you are looking for more of a defensive type weapon right? If so the bear spray has been proven to be very effective, mind the wind though you do not want to end up wearing the spray, I carry a shotgun with 00 buck when hunting bears with a bow just in case the bear decides to turn back on me while tracking. As for the bear don't worry too much about it, if you go out and shoot while you are there the report of the rifle will most likely warn a bear that you are in the area and will probably not even come around, but air on the side of caution and pack the spray or shotgun...
Old 04-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

30.06 is a great bear caliber.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to wonder where some of you are getting the idea that 00 buck is going to get adequate penetration to quickly stop a bear? I've seen deer run a literal mile after being shot in the chest with several pellets of 00 buck, it has ZERO stopping power.

Stick with the Brennekes.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:42 AM

I have shot black bears with 00 buck up close and it has more than enough muzzle energy to knock it over with in 20 yards. I agree with you though I only have two shots of 00 buck then two more slugs after if it comes to it.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

THEY DO MAKE BATTERY POWERED BEAR FENCES , THE ONE I HAVE USES D BATTERIES,
Old 05-10-2009, 01:10 PM

yes that will work but that is a huge and i mean huge bear for that area i used to live near yellow stona and may i say i own alot of guns well see i had the same proble every time we got a deer elk etc.i wouldhalf to skin it out somewhere else most of the time in the back of my truck but the blood smell wax still there so that attracted them.Well i went out and baougth a 50 bealow wolf wich is a 50 cailber pistol round in a magumn and it worked good.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Spike

Default How to kill a bear?

1. Rifle = 460 Weatherby Nitro Express
2. Ammo = Hollow Point Nitro
3. Technique = U S Army Quick Kill, ignore the stupid 'scope

Kills by hydrostatic shock. 9100 Lb-Ft at 50 Yards, 2700 fpm

Quick Reply: how to kill a bear quickly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.