Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Necessities for the first elk hunt. >

Necessities for the first elk hunt.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Necessities for the first elk hunt.

Old 04-23-2003, 06:11 PM

Default RE: Necessities for the first elk hunt.

Fellas, a few of you have stumped me. I am by no means a veteran mountain man, but I have talked with a plethora of old timer' s who say a dangerous encounter of any kind with a cat or bear is so remote they didn' t even want to guess. So why even consider the sidearm?

Another stumper..aren' t you already carrying a gun? And if that one wacko cat decided he wanted to eat you for dinner, he would be chewin' on your orange hunting vest waaaaaaaaaaay before you got up a handgun, rifle, bow, cannon, flame-thrower, slingshot, or any other shooting contraption out there....at least that is what I have been told.

Don' t read this the wrong way guys, I am not saying this with any ' you don' t know jack' kind of attitude, I will be the first to admit I know very little about the mountains. I am only stating what I have learned or read thus far on my journey, and am wondering ' why' ?

Opinions?

Chad
Old 04-23-2003, 07:48 PM

rookelkhunter,

If you were to visit my camp in Colorado the only firearm you' d see during the week prior to opening morning (scouting time) would be a 12ga slug gun in the kitchen (for general purposes) -- the rest are all put away -- we don' t carry firearms while scouting just during the actual hunting season. Colorado is pretty tame.

As far as I can tell there was only one mention of carrying a pistol and the balance recommended that it was not needed for Colorado - just extra weight and bother. 121553 didn' t recommend a side arm for Colorado, he just stated what he personally does. With that said you got to understand that 121553 lives up by Yellowstone -- different ballgame -- grizzlies. Little different situation, side arm and bear spray (especially) makes a lot more sense -- something you can take with you when you go outside to see the stars at night or when you go to use the john in the morning or even while scouting-- one tends not to pack a loaded high power rifle absolutely every minute of every day whereas a pistol and/or spray you can. There is no guarantee that ole gizz is going to cooperate and come during daylight and during hunting season when you' ll be packing your sendero.

BTW, people do hunt lion and bear -- these animals may be worthy adversaries and as rare as an offensive encounter might be, they are not invincible, even in a surprise situation -- extra " helpers" make sense in a higher risk enviornment.

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM
Old 04-23-2003, 08:09 PM

Thanks all, I hav just a few minutes on the computer tonight, so I' m printing the list and will likely have a few more questions. Thanks in advance. Ryan
Old 04-23-2003, 08:38 PM

Something for pre-season, Topo Maps of the area you hunt. Ive found these come in veeery handy come huntin' time!
Old 04-23-2003, 10:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Fellas, a few of you have stumped me. I am by no means a veteran mountain man, but I have talked with a plethora of old timer' s who say a dangerous encounter of any kind with a cat or bear is so remote they didn' t even want to guess. So why even consider the sidearm?
I can tell you that after the last couple of seasons hunting in Colorado I will not go walking around hunting camp w/o a hand gun on my side. Our camp was visited by a rather large bear last year that made himself at home with our coffee and canned food, luckilly we were not there at the time. My father had a small blackiy walk up behind him about 50 yards while sitting under a tree in the morning. Two seasons ago a fellow hunter saw a large blackie off in the distance and during the same season I heard a bear walking and roaring just the other side of the meadow that we place our camp at. The same season another camp down the mountain a ways had their camp broken into by a bear that ate most of their food. We certainly try to make camp as bear proof as possible but the smell of bacon in the morning carries a long ways.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:17 PM
Typical Buck

Encounters with dangerous animals are always possible when in their territory but decide what you will do if you encounter one, be prepared and don' t give it a second thought. The chances are pretty remote. I ran into a blackie once last year and once he knew what I was he ran. Bear proofing your camp will be the biggest thing. Keep trash away from camp and lock up all the food in a car or truck and a cooler and you shouldn' t have many problems. Don' t dump excess food on the ground. Bury it or put the extra away in sealed container and put it in the truck.

Pee around the meat?? I knew you guys did some strange stuff but this has taken it to a new level. You guys are pretty paranoid.

Bigbulls and others have a good list but they forgot one pretty important thing. Your orange. In utah we have to have orange hats if you wear one, find out the regs in Colorado before heading out. And get you some of those Butler Creek scope covers that flip open. Usually lots of dust, branches and leaves when hiking through elk country.

If you go prepared you should have a great trip. Know its a remote possibility and be prepared but don' t worry to much about cats, and bears.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:49 AM
Typical Buck

Jus' to be on the safe side, let thet bacon grease cool an' rub it on yer back. Thet way, the bears won' t come into yer camp whilst yer gone, they' ll stay on yer back trail all day. Glad to be of some help to you fellers. Ain' t no reason to have a sidearm while huntin' . A sidearm is a item of convenience, when you don' t wanna be luggin' a rifle ' round, like on a summer pack trip. A rifle is the best defense.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

You' re right I don' t take it with me when I have my rifle in hand but I do take it with me when I am hanging an elk, just walking around, or any other time that I do not have my rifle with me. I can get to a hand gun on my side alot quicker than I could get to a rifle leaning up against a tree ten feet away. With Colorado doing away with spring bear hunting back in the 90' s the bear population has risen considerably. It' s better to be safe that sorry when you are not carrying your rifle. Put it this way, if you do have a bear encounter, as remote as they are, you just might wish you had a gun of some kind with you.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:58 PM

I' m not saying your wrong, to each his own. Wouldn' t ya say bigbulls that you knowing of so many encounters in just a few years is VERY irregular?

I don' t think I am naive or ignorant when I go out, the little that I have, it just seems like you are taking away from the experience a little if you are that concerned about a one in a million chance of actually being attacked. But if it makes you feel better, more power to ya.

Being a bow hunter only, I plan on carrying some bear spray with me, and if that don' t work, God didn' t intent for me to be walking out of the woods that particular day.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:13 PM

Great list. The outfitter has a list of things, but this will really help. I plan to take the .357 and as stated,wear it in camp or when I don' t have the rifle in hand. The extra three pound on the way in will be worth it to me. I have a sleeping bag that is rated to...never mind. I just checked and its only rated to 40 degrees. Surely not enough? Day pack and Frame pack? I have wool pants, but only cotton LJ' s, I sweat my a$$ of on cold days so this info is greatly appriciated. Shooting sticks are on the list, (Two of the six in our group went last year) but someone said to use the day pack? Any more coment here? Enough for now, Thanks again for all the great information.

Ryan

P.S. I can return the information favors on Upland, especially pheasants and on upland dogs, specifically pointing labs.

Quick Reply: Necessities for the first elk hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.