Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk hunting question

Old 02-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Spike

Default elk hunting question

hi guys kinda new around here and i am looking to plan an elk hunt. i have no clue where to begin besides i know i would like a do it yourself or maybe a drop camp style hunt. i would prefer a rifle or muzzleloader hunt. the thought of being able to chase mule deer and elk is a plus. my question is where do u start. what states offer the best hunting. and maybe an outfitter u could suggest for a drop camp would be cool. any suggestions would really be great. also i was wondering if anyone has ever just payed a tresspass fee to hunt private land for elk. i have alot of questions so can u guys help a pa whitetail chaser out. u don't have to give away your hot spots just a few suggestions to get me started
Old 02-24-2009, 04:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: elk hunting question

I was in the same boat. I'd chased Eastern whitetails, but nothing bigger. I decided to use a guide, since I knew nothing about the creatures' habits out West, nor would I have any opportunities to do any scouting in the area before the season.

I went to BC, because the cost of a guided hunt would be about the same as in the states, but I wouldn't have to do preference points for a good area. Plus, BC has a 6-point rule, so I knew that if I did take an elk, it would be a pretty good one.

I'd had a pheasant mounted by a local taxidermist during a North Dakota pheasant hunt, & I figured he'd know more about elk than any Ohio taxidermists. He suggested 3 outfitters (2 in BC, 1 in ID), & I talked to them, & checked their references. I felt very comfortable with the one I picked, & it turned out to be a great choice.

In my 1st hunt with them, I noticed some false advertising: they claimed the outcamps had wall tents, but they'd actually all been upgraded to new cabins. The chow was bountiful & great. The guides all knew what they were doing, & had guided that territory for at least 10 years each. I think you can tell a lot about an outfit by how they treat their equipment & their pack animals, & it was immediately obvious that this group was top-notch.

My 1st year out, I came back empty handed. We saw a few bulls, only fleetingly, and none were shooters. It wasn't for lack of trying, though. We never left camp less than 1 hour before sunrise, & we never returned sooner than an hour after sundown. On my last day, the owner called-in an extra guide to glass for the rest of us. No, the elk weren't on leashes, but that's why they call it hunting. And the country was breathtaking.

My 2nd time, the owner himself guided me, & I took a 6x5 on my 2nd day, after having called-in 4 bulls that day. It was after pulling the trigger that I was glad I didn't DIY the hunt: we were 4 hours, 2 ridges, and no trailsaway from the truck. An ATV would have been worthless, but the pack horses made quick work out of hauling the pieces (and my tired butt!) out of that drainage.

I still harbor some romantic notions about doing a DIY elk hunt sometime, but without knowing the area, or drawing a tag for the best area, or figuring out how to care-for, store, and transport the meat (both during the hunt, & for the return trip!), I think I'll put it off 'til I get more experience.

My advice? Be honest with yourself about your budget, your physical conditioning, your knowledge, and your hunting skills. That'll make your choice more plain. Whatever you do, spend more time on getting in shape & practicing shooting from field positions, than on surfing the net comparing cartridges, rifles, & scopes.

Hope this helps,

FC
Old 02-24-2009, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

Jrob,

Just a note of caution, sometimes drop camps are the best way to go, the outfitters put you in area's they hunt and have plenty of game which makes it easier to stumble into them more so than just going blindly into the forest. The downfall is some outfitters use drop campers as added money and put them into overflow areas. If the outfitter pretty much tells you that you may see him coming through with guided hunters at a given time or he's in the next canyon over your probally in the right spots.

There's a ton of successful DIY's out of the box the first time and usually the more research they do the better the odds. But unless you get lucky and see a bunch of elk the first time it could be years before you find an area that is what your looking for.

Colorado has alot of good area's over the counter tags for elk. Mule deer is draw only. The chances of hunting both the same time the first year you draw for deer is slim unless you go to an area like 444 in colorado but that's mainly a deer area and a few good elk spots.

I would say drop camps are great idea for first timers for elk. I would contact the Forest Service and the Division of Wildlife in those areas and see who they recommend. That most times is the best way to find the most reputable outfitters in the regions.

Good luck to you and have a blast huntin.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

IF you're looking to do mule deer in the states, look to Colorado, it's the only state that's booming, all other states are down on mule deer.

For Elk, I'd look to any state other than CO just about, all have better trophy potential IMO.

NM has great elk and you can draw this year! AZ great elk, but takes years to draw the best units. ID has OTC archery tags, maybe rifle too not certain, but i hear of wolf devastation on the herds. MT has some great archery elk hunting I hear, with easy draws. A general tag in WY is always a good elk option too with pretty good odds. I'm waiting to draw a limited unit in WY, after I do, I plan to probably just put in for that general tag and draw it every other year etc....or you can apply for the special tag and have better odds, possibly hunting annually in WY!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Hope you find the type of hunt your looking for. Lots of good places out there. If you decide on a drop camp, try to call as many referances as you can for that outfitter. Elk hunting is elk hunting and there are no promises when it comes to elk. However a good outfitter will do his best to put you in a good area. Rest will be up to you. Get into shape, practice your shooting, and forget everything you know your whitetails back east. Elk are not whitetails. Try to learn as much as you can before your hunt starts. Each and every state offers good hunts, isnt a western state that doesnt have good elk hunting. Do some research and makesure to contact referances. If youuse a outfitter who gives you a truely bad hunt in what he offers, its your own fault for not properly checking out bunches of referances. Big question, do you want to hunt elk with a chance at a respectable bull and go hunting in the near futureor do you want to wait for a few years putting in for the better drawareas for a trophy bull? Good luck in your quest, elk hunting is like a drug. Its very addicting, so watch out if you go once you willfind the urge to keeping coming back for more.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Spike

well i'm looking to go in 2010 so i wanna give myself plenty of time to pick a state and an outfit if possible
Old 02-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

PS- if you are looking for a muzzleloader or rifle hunt, I think your odds can go WAY up on taking a big bull with a muzzleloader as opposed to a rifle. As most states either offer ML hunts in or near the rut.

Plus ML tags are usually easier to draw than rifle tags.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Spike

well it would be a group of at least three of us maybe 4 what states can we have a good shot at drawing a muzzleloader tag, and what state allow muzzleloaders with scopes because i think colorado doesn't
Old 02-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Colorado Muzzleloader is Non scoped, loose powder, and no sabots. They try to keep it sorta primitive although Inlines are allowed. You also need to have points to draw a muzzleloader tag in Colorado, as its a very limited season that runs the same as the 3rd wk of archery. But thats also a advantage if you draw a tag, becasue your odds increase. The Elk aren't pressured, and you get first gun crack at them. It usually takes a minimum of 3pts to draw. You can apply for points only, that deadline is April 4th.
Far as your planning I asked these samequestions several yrs ago. I planned mine for 3yrs prior. But I wanted to go archery. I decided being a whitetail hunter from N.Y., and knowing nothing about Elk hunting it was best to go with a full guided hunt. I had noone going with me that had any prior experience either. I have no regrets on a fully guided hunt. Sure its more expensive, but you'll find it the toughest hunting you've ever done. Mountain hunting up to 11,000 ft, and covering miles of area isn't no easy task compared to sitting in a treestand for hrs. Your in for a whole new world. The thin air alone is a big adjustment. A DIY hunt you'll have to buy all your own gear, and I suggest renting horses or mules. A drop camp is fine, most you'll need to supply your own food, do your own cooking, and chopping firewood. But your at a disadvantage if you have no elk hunting experience. You need to understand Elk, learn to call right, when, andhow. If you've ever turkey hunted its the best comparison I can give you. Elk can be as finicky as toms, or as easy. Its your hunt, and your call but if you want a good experience your first time without all the added worries, go Outfitter. Then once you gain some experience go back drop or DIY.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some states allow 1x scopes....which I'd preferto nothing....so may need to look into specifics...

ID and NM have no pref pts, so everyone has the same odds.

OR I think has OTC tags for the better roosevelt elk units...but few trophies I believe.

Quick Reply: elk hunting question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.