Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 270 wsm Elk and Black Bear >

270 wsm Elk and Black Bear

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

270 wsm Elk and Black Bear

Old 03-19-2009, 09:50 PM
BKC

Default RE: 270 wsm Elk and Black Bear

I shoot a 270 wsm with cxp2 silver tip 150 for elk and 130 for deerit did the job last year in Montana. HuntingColorado this year we will see how they do. At my home state Calif I shoot my Thompson 243 work great on these deer.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Dalebow:
The 270 wsm is a fantastic round. I spent a couple of years in research on them because I needed to put together a backup gun for clients who's guns either didn't arrive on the plane or were broken or not functioning and a family gun for wife and kids. Of all the clients who came to camp the ones who were truly in love with their guns and produced shot grouping targets from their wallet were all shooters of Browning ABolts with a BOSS. I love pretty wood guns but this one was going to be specifically for other folks and utility was much more important that style. So I chose an ABolt composite stalker in a 270 WSM. I put a Leupold VX III 3.5 x 10 x 50 on it and went to the range. I bought the cheapest factory ammo on the shelf. The Winchester silver ballistic in 150 gr. Within the first box of shells I had it inside an inch at 200 yards and perfectly zeroed. I have never changed a thing since then. With the continued use of this gun by many, it has taken turkeys at 250, bou at 226 (my wife's first big game hunt) at least 20 mature mule deer bucks and about 25 antelope bucks ranging out to 320. With the crowning achievement being my wife's first elk. With me coaching and filming she dumped this 6 point bull at 442 yards. The elk did take a follow up shot but he was completely immobile from the first shot. You seem to be leaning toward the lighter bullets. I would recommend against the lighter ones. Bears are tougher than the earlier post eludes to and elk are truly big tough animals. I have been in on over 200 elk kills and only three were ever crushed and died without running. All three were killed with 340 WBY mags. That's not to say you can't take one and crush him with other lighter cartridges but the likelihood of that is much smaller. Good luck to you Dale I am sure you will have a great time. Just be sure of your shot placement and anything will do a good job but I am still a bigger is better kind of guy.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used both bullets to anchor elk with a 7mm rem mag and they worked just fine. However my choice is the barnes TSX due to its ability to retain weight and penetrate in less then ideal situations (for ie raking shots). For a rifle and bear a double shoulder shot is desirable, the TSX is a shoe in for such an application. Those who have hunted elk know you may only get one shot opportunity (if any), personally like the insurance I feel is offered by a TSX (best larger then deer bullet I have personally used (which includes awesomebullets like parts., AB, failsafes, etc). If accuracy isn't an issue the TSX would be a no brainer for what your wanting IMHO.