Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.270 & ELK

Old 02-15-2009, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .270 & ELK

ORIGINAL: .300/.270Win.

from my experience as a PA deer hunter, the .270 is ideal for deer but elk is kind of stretching it
the .270 knocked my first deer down, but it got up and ran 20 yards
sure a .270 is the minimum in PA, but my cousin's cousin shot an elk 3 times with a 7mm-08 behind the shoulder through the vitals just to drop it
if your going to to use a .270 bring lots of ammo and shoot till it's head goes down

I couldn't find anywhere on Penn. Game Com. website that gave a min. size cal. for shooting a deer.It just said centerfire.I'm sure there is a min. cal. but .270 sounds a bit large too me.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

i was just throwing out there the idea that fish and game would have special rounds made. ive never know a fish and game agency that has been shy of spending money especially when they are using the excuse of saving birds from lead poisoning. if he says he was using 160gr or 180gr bullets im going to give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.
And as I pointed out,what would the point be of loading up 185gr copper bullets for the few people in AZ that use the 270win for elk,if they won't even stabilize in factory 270win rifles?

i dont claim to be an expert when it comes to guns or bullets like some people but if i remember right they load 30-06 casings with 180gr bullets all the time. and if im not mistaken the 270 casing is virtually the same size except its actually .1" longer than a 30-06 springfield.
The difference is that the 30-06 uses a larger bore,so the 185gr bullet will be shorter in length,and it would stabilize in factory 30-06 rifles.A 185gr bullet would be practical in a 30-06,but it isn't practical in a factory 270win rifle with a 1 in 10" twist.

oh and just because you havent killed a 1000 lb bull doesnt mean they dont exist. rare yes but it happens.
My point exactly,they are very rare,and most people do not expect to kill a 1000lb elk for that reason.And as he posted himself,he did not kill a 1000lb elk either..
Old 02-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

well you can have your story and he has his but im going to give more weight to the story of the guy who was there.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

well you can have your story
I don't have a "story",I am presenting technical data that shows why a 185gr all copper bullet would not be at all feasible in a factory 270win rifle.If you understood anything about rifling twist rates,it would make perfect sense to you why nobody even offers a 185gr all copper hunting bullet for the 270win.

Go ahead,find an all copper 185gr hunting bullet in .277" on the net and prove me wrong.

Below is a link to the commonly offered twist rates.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_barrel.htm

Below is a link to selecting a suitable twist rate based on caliber and bullet weight.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/caliber_twist_rates.htm

Also remember that he first claimed 185gr,but a few posts later,after finding out that the heaviest .277" bullet loaded by Federal is 150gr.,he decided that it might have actually been 150gr.If he was so sure it was 185gr,he wouldn't have even considered that it might be 150gr.It's very simple to see that he really doesn't know the weight of the bullets.

If it really was 185gr,I am sure that he would have taken a picture of the ammunition box and posted it,just to prove his point.

The fact that you can't even find an all copper 185gr hunting bullet in .277" proves my point.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

well whatever you say im tired of arguing about this. the only thing that matters is the guy killed his elk regardless of what bullet he used. and that nobody can argue.

nice job zach.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

Caselesssss U wil find somefolks here just like to argue and impress U with there ability to cut and paste or due hours of research to prove a nonissue point!!!! If U go back and see the kid and I repeat KID said he might be mistaken and apoligized but some here could not let it go!!!! BTW what part of Idaho do U come from?? I have hunted around the Kooskia area!!
Old 02-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

yeah i know i shouldnt let myself get sucked in but i do sometimes. im from the eastern side. long way from kooskia but i love it up there. never got to hunt there but i always found a lot of bear sign up that way. guess i should give it a try someday. what were you hunting?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Deer and Elk!!!

eastside of the rockies??? Salmon area I've heard of!!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

nah just eastern side of idaho. actually i live just outside of ririe if you know where that is. its not very big.

how was the elk hunting around kooskia? we always saw lots of deer around there but never got high enough to find the elk.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:19 AM

Thanks guys..... But as I mentioned before, I am postitve this load was hotter than 130gr. Hopefully I will draw out again this year, then I'd be glad to photograph the box of ammunition for you. Until then.... I guess we can drop the "all copper" suject.

BTW: Idaho is beautiful area, What system do you guys use as far as recieving a tag?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.