Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.270 & ELK

Old 02-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .270 & ELK

No, that's not right... I'm absolutely positive that it was more than 130gr. I'd never use a load that small on #1,000 bull elk......
Just going by what is printed on the Federal site.They should know what they sell.

I myself would rather use a 130 gr ttsx over a 150gr partition for elk hunting,but then again,none of the 15 Rocky Mountain elk that I killed weighed 1000lb.I have seen the odd 1000lb Roosevelt or Manitoba elk,but those 1000lb Rocky mountain elk aren't much more common than 185gr bullets for the 270win.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

ive seen 160 grain bullets for .270 before and they were factory loads. i dont remember what brand they were thought. and i know you can buy 180 bullets to handload your own. so maybe fish and game had federal make some special loads for AZ.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ive seen 160 grain bullets for .270 before and they were factory loads. i dont remember what brand they were thought. and i know you can buy 180 bullets to handload your own. so maybe fish and game had federal make some special loads for AZ.
Why would they bother when the 130gr Barnes that they already load will work just fine on elk?As well,how many hunters in Az would be using the 270win?Unless large numbers are involved,special runs of ammunition are expensive to have made.Besides,Federal would still need to buy bullets to make those loads,and I haven't seen any all copper bullets available that weigh more than 150gr.Lastly,most 270win rifles would not stabilize a 180gr or 185gr all copper bullet,because the rifling twist is not suitable.Then you need to realize that a 185gr all copper bullet would have to be seated so deeply to fit in the magazine,that it would take up so much volume inside the case,that the ballistics would be severely compromised.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:48 AM

go ahead and get yourself a 270 win. then get some federal factory loaded 150gr partitions. then practice out to 300 yards. as the two guides have stated, a 270 will kill any elk on the planet if the shooter does his part. don't think your question is at all complicated.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

No, that's not right... I'm absolutely positive that it was more than 130gr. I'd never use a load that small on #1,000 bull elk......
Just going by what is printed on the Federal site.They should know what they sell.

I myself would rather use a 130 gr ttsx over a 150gr partition for elk hunting,but then again,none of the 15 Rocky Mountain elk that I killed weighed 1000lb.I have seen the odd 1000lb Roosevelt or Manitoba elk,but those 1000lb Rocky mountain elk aren't much more common than 185gr bullets for the 270win.
And I doubt with an additude like this, you've ever hunted elk in AZ either...... You can keep Canada.

My bull weighed over 950lbs BTW. Seeing how you don't live in AZ nor have you ever been forced to use this type of ammunition ( I have several times, deer and elk hunts ) your words are meaningless. I don't really care if you can't find this stuff online ( have you checked www.azgfd.com? ), these loads that i speak of are real..... As mentioned above.... AZ Game and Fish could have had special loads made. I don't know for sure.... But until you come down to AZ to hunt elk and use a .270 with these copper bullets, i'd suggest you refrain from telling me what MY state uses and doesn't use.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Seeing how you don't live in AZ nor have you ever been forced to use this type of ammunition ( I have several times, deer and elk hunts ) your words are meaningless.
I don't have to live in Arizona to have experience with elk or with all copper bullets.I myself have taken elk with the Barnes tsx which was the only all copper bullet loaded by Federal recently until they started loading the tipped tsx.As far as the size of Arizona elk goes,I have hunted elk in New Mexico,and I doubt that the size suddenly increases significantly as you cross the border into Arizona.Yes bulls do often exceed 800lbs,with some over 900lbs,but a wild 1000lb Rocky mountain elk is certainly not common.

these loads that i speak of are real.
The Federal Premium Barnes 130gr tipped tsx loads are real,but you have offered no proof whatsoever that a 185gr all copper Federal load exists for the 270win.Of course you could prove your point by simply taking a picture of the box that shows the chambering and bullet weight,but I don't expect to see you post such a picture for obvious reasons.

But until you come down to AZ to hunt elk and use a .270 with these copper bullets, i'd suggest you refrain from telling me what MY state uses and doesn't use.
I won't ever be using a 270win to hunt elk,and I doubt that I will bother hunting elk in Arizona in the near future,but your Fish&Wildlife people can only hand out Federal loads that actually exist,and as of yet,you haven't proven that a Federal 185gr all copper load exists for the 270win.

And regardless of where you are,you would still need a barrel with a twist rate of 1 turn in 7" or 1 turn in 8" to stabilize a 185gr all copper .277" bullet,while most factory 270win rifles have a twist rate of 1 turn in 10".Or are you going to tell me that the laws of physics are different in Arizona?
Old 02-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

post deleted

Old 02-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: jerry d

[quote]ORIGINAL: .300/.270Win.

from my experience as a PA deer hunter, the .270 is ideal for deer but elk is kind of stretching it
the .270 knocked my first deer down, but it got up and ran 20 yards
sure a .270 is the minimum in PA, but my cousin's cousin shot an elk 3 times with a 7mm-08 behind the shoulder through the vitals just to drop it
if your going to to use a .270 bring lots of ammo and shoot till it's head goes down

Alot of guys including a few guides that have guided people on elk hunts feel that the .270 is plenty of gun for elk.
.270 is the mininum caliber for whitetail in PA?That leaves out some decent deer calibers,ie: .243,25.06,6mm
Old 02-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of the locals where I hunted elk this year used 270s...they just didn't try to shoot a half mile.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

i was just throwing out there the idea that fish and game would have special rounds made. ive never know a fish and game agency that has been shy of spending money especially when they are using the excuse of saving birds from lead poisoning. if he says he was using 160gr or 180gr bullets im going to give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. i dont claim to be an expert when it comes to guns or bullets like some people but if i remember right they load 30-06 casings with 180gr bullets all the time. and if im not mistaken the 270 casing is virtually the same size except its actually .1" longer than a 30-06 springfield.

oh and just because you havent killed a 1000 lb bull doesnt mean they dont exist. rare yes but it happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.