Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.270 & ELK

Old 02-10-2009, 03:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .270 & ELK

Scott & Stubblejumper,you guys lost me,what the heck are you talking about?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:33 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jerry d

Scott & Stubblejumper,you guys lost me,what the heck are you talking about?
We are disagreeing on whether the Barnes TSX bullet will expand properly at lower velocity impacts. The 338 Federal is a relatively low velocity round. I and apparently Federal Cartridge feel the bullet will perform well at these velocities. Stubble feels it may not expand which will reduce its terminal effect by "penciling" thru game. The result would be lots of penetration with too narrow a wound path.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok thanks Scott.I pulled up Hawks recoil tables & was comparing the .270 to the .06,not much a difference in recoil energy w/ the same wieght rifle.I'm thinking the .06 might be the wiser choice.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:31 AM
Typical Buck

Jerry I use the 06 for elk and it has performed very well. On our last outing our group took 3 elk with the 165 Grain Light Magnum loadsusing the Interbond bullet. We had 5 hits with 3 pass thrus. The two recovered bullets were shoulder shots that were held in by the far side hide and weighted 137 and 156 grains. I have chronyd these loads from my 22" barreled Savage and they clocked 2950 FPS which works out to around 3250 FT/LBS of kinetic energy.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey thanks for help Scott.Now I'm even more sorry I sold my .06!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Spike

I was a guide for many years and the 270 has been used on a lot of elk that I have called in. It is not the bullet or the gun it is where the hunter puts the lead. I have seen bulls get hit with a 300 win mag. and run for miles even hit good. Many people think a bigger caliber is better but its not always true some people are afraid of the recoil of the gun they are shooting the most important thing is to get familiar with your rifle and ranges you can shoot. I personally shot a 270 and I have killed bulls out past 400 yrds. but I was able to practice those shots on prairie dogs all summer long. Once agian get familiar with the gun and shoot various types of lead to see what shoots the best out of your particualar gun.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is so true Chickenrun! I remember reading an article years ago in one of my hunting mags,it was written by a guide.The article was about a client that used to hunt in his camp ever year.Appartrently this guy was a lousy shot!!!He first showed up w/ a.243,wounded a deer,next year w/ a 30 .06 wounded another deer,next year a.338 put the deer down but had to take a second shot to finish it off.The hunter then said to the guide "I finally found a good deer caliber"
The outfitter asked him not to return to camp!
Old 02-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

The comparison was of one inch of ballistic gelatin that is actually very similar to animal tissue and the aluminum wasjust .050 inches thick and was used only to record the bullet diameters for visual reference. As far as your experience with real animals it would seem to be limited to higher velocity impacts. My experience last fall was with a lower impact velocity of around 2100 fps on a thinner skinned whitetail than the elk the original poster intended to hunt. I would consider my experience much closer to the scenario at hand than yours.
I have had experience with both higher and lower velocity impacts with the tsx,and while the tsx did okay at lower velocities,it expanded much more at higher velocities.As for the example,I have never shot an animal that had one inch of flesh encased by sheet aluminum,so I am not very quick to accept how realistic that test would be compared to actually shooting real animals.

We are disagreeing on whether the Barnes TSX bullet will expand properly at lower velocity impacts. The 338 Federal is a relatively low velocity round. I and apparently Federal Cartridge feel the bullet will perform well at these velocities. Stubble feels it may not expand which will reduce its terminal effect by "penciling" thru game. The result would be lots of penetration with too narrow a wound path.
Not quite.I am not saying that the tsx will not expand adequately to provide clean kills at lower velocity.What I am saying is that at lower velocities,there are far better choices if you want a larger wound channel.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Spike

thanks jerry d too many people will sit and argue but when it comes to shooting; its the hunter not the gun. I guess its hard for some people to realize they suck at shooting, A: they don't shoot enough B: they are scared of there gun C: they are not capable of shooting the distance they want or are shooting. most of the time when I had clients I would watch them shoot at our range to see how they held there gun and if they pulled more people pulled with bigger guns than the guys who shot the little ones. More times or not when it came down to it the BIG guns missed or wounded the elk intiling there guide to track the wounded animal for a long time or not even findding the animal.. so what ever you pick make sure you shoot it and learn how to shoot it well
chickenrunn
Old 02-12-2009, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

The 270 win is a mighty fine elk cartridge, it has plenty of punch to kill any elk walking on the face of the planet. No caliber will make up fora bad shot nor will bullet size or weight. Preferences all boil down to what you want to do with the gun and at what range. The 270win has a place in elk country with a man who knows his rifle. I vote yes. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.