Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Tag Costs / Applications Non-residents >

Tag Costs / Applications Non-residents

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Tag Costs / Applications Non-residents

Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Tag Costs / Applications Non-residents

This is my little rant about non-resident tag fees etc...

Maybe there's a problem I haven't thought of with setting a standard non-resident fee multiplier to tags, but so far I haven't thought of it.

I'd like to see a 8x or 10x maximum multiplier to non-residents and even less like 6-8x would be ideal. Anything more just seems ridiculous, but it would be nice to see some uniformity in how tags are issued.

I don't mind having to buy a non-res license to build pts and buy a tag, but having to pay full tag fees up front does limit the amount of tags you can apply for and build pts for. If you apply for 5 species per state and apply for 5 states, thats 25 tags you're applying for, and may not even draw 1 tag, so why should we have to frotn the money, I think a charge card billed at the time of the draw is the ideal way of doing it.

Especially fronting sheep tag costs etc...

I'd also like to see every state have an online system, which is free, why should there be an online convenience fee? it saves everyone money, so why charge more for something that saves a state money etc...? This makes no sense.

Also I'd like to see more randomness in drawings....most states are pretty fair in my view, but wyoming....75% of the tags goto the max points holders, leaving 25% for a random draw, so if an area issues 4 tags, only 1 of those tags will go in a random draw, and in that random draw, obviously those with more pts have better odds. If all of those tags were issued in a random draw, odds are still that people with the most pts would draw the tag, this only discourages people with few or no pts from applying IMO. Wyoming should flip these percentages or just erase them completely, as should other states...or like Nevada squaring system.....so a person with 10 pts would go in the draw 100x, and a person with 1 pt would go in once, who do you think will draw the tag? sure that 1 pt is possible, but highly highly unlikely....but much fairer than wyoming's 75/25 policy.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tag Costs / Applications Non-residents

I agree with many of your points....

I think one of the main reasons why many of the States charge a convenience fee is to help cover additional costs the States are getting hit with.... Two things in specific:

1. To help cover the cost of building/paying for an online system.Programming/development isn't cheap and with shrinking budgets they needed a way to help pay forthe new 'service'.

2.Some people don't realize, but retailers get charged a certain percent of total sale by the credit card companies.I believethe % is different for different types of cards, but I believe averages somewhere around 2%.So if you charge$1000 in tag fees, the state is only really getting $980 - after the tranaction fee is taken out. So the 'convenience' fee helps cover those costs.

I agree with most all your points. One simple solution as you mentioned, is to just charge an application fee per species. Instead of making everyone front the entire tag fee. I also think it's ridiculous to make people buy a hunting license just to apply for a limited entry tag..... If I draw, fine, then I'll buy a license....A lot the things you mention are exactly what's driving hunting into a rich mans only sport.....

Old 02-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

And with time, nonresident fees in Colorado are going to continue to weed people out. Probably not me, but certainly others including some friends of mine. They have an automatic price increase ever year tied to the consumer price index. That makes it like compounding money. Every year the increase gets larger because you are taking a % of a higher tag fee. Luckily, the residents don't have the automatic fee increase. I think the legislature still has to approve any increase.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

I hear you guys...the fact that CO, AZ and WY all make you pay up-front is a bit much...

Then again, here in Nevada I can get a Sheep, Goat or Elk tag (well, maybe not) for $120 and a NR hunter will pay $1,200...and the draw oddsfor NR hunters are about as good as they are in AZ or WY...miserable!
Old 02-03-2009, 02:58 PM

I think the upfront costs are pretty ridiculous as well. However, if you CAN front it...it should prove to improve your odds.

Right now I am AZ, UT, CO, and WY for points only for a few years in multiple species. I think it comes to around 20ish tags in building for. I MAY draw 15 of those in my life if I am lucky. To think about the numbers is only depressing. I plan to put in for 5-6 states for mtn goats and sheep once I graduate college, and PRAY to pull 1 or 2 tags before I die.

I really want a Sheep, Goat, and Moose tag in the lower 48 before i hit 40. I don't think it will happen. Some of the license fees I cringe at, but the POINTS ONLY fees are ridiculous as well. $100 for a sheep point in WY with 0% chance of drawing, no thanks.[:'(]

AZ, UT, CO, and WY elk/deer for now. Looking to add NV, CA, MT for some species points....then enter ID and NM draws once I graduate since they have no point system.

I have heard ID has the best odds to pull a NR Mtn Goat tag, is this true? Sheep are a powerball chances anywhere...haven't looked into moose enough to know yet. Does anyone know if I have a snowballs chance in hell to ever pull a UT or CO moose tag starting from 0 this year?
Old 02-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't have a problem with the NR fees. It takes money to fund all the states F&W departments. Money means quality management. If you want to play you have to pay.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with... If you want to play then you got topay... WE are the biggest conservationist group in the world. But being a guy that lives in Colorado I do think that $575.00 for a bull tag is a bit high ..... but inline with other state's as well. Now what's the trade off .....I don't know. The CDOW recieves all of it's budget money from licensing fee's(not taxes). I think that they could offset some of their cost's by increasing the application fee and maybe do something like pay if you draw. If you don't pay then the tag go's into the leftover catagory or maybe into a special draw. If you used point's and drew but didn't pay.....You lose your point's. That could be a problem unto itself.Colorado at this time (unlike Wyo.) does not allow you to purchase only a point.

Bill
Old 02-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

glob...you make a great point with the no pay, next drawing/left-over comment. Idaho does that with controlled hunt permits. If you're drawn in the first go, but don't pay for the tag, that tag goes into the second drawing...there are never any left after the second draw....I think it's a pretty good system. The other thing I like about Idaho is no pref. points. I'ma fan of having just as good a chance as everyone, year in and year out!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

I dont care for the fact of high fees no more than the next personbut my main passion is hunting so Ill pay to play. Ive got 15 points in some states and others just getting started with, it took me alot of years to build my "hunting" fund account. Each year I try to add to the fund to be able to apply for more than the previous year. Each state has its own way of doing things and the best thing to do is accept the fact. If do not like the non resident system for a certain state, best to move and become a resident of that state.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Well I'll be a little biased................Please don't move here.... or maybe a better way to say that would be that if you do move here..........then for each of you..... 1,000 (or more)Californians have to GO BACK!!

I just thought that I would add...........I am going on an Antelope hunt in Wyo. thisyear and I have zero problem with paying the $286.00 for my tag. That seems reasonable.
$250.00 for a Colo. cow elk tag for non-res. seems reasonable4575.00 for a bull tag does not. I don't apply for alot of out of state hunting so I imagine the cost can get up there a bit. I guess you just have to pick your poison.
Bill

Quick Reply: Tag Costs / Applications Non-residents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.