Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What to do with bear meat? >

What to do with bear meat?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What to do with bear meat?

Old 10-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Spike

Ya it will be great if they both get active on this forum... and share their exp. with gaming...
Old 10-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by handloader1
I think bear is pretty good; just don' t forget to remove the fat and bone before cooking. Good eating.
Ya it will be great if they both get active on this forum... and share their exp. with gaming...
Old 10-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Spike

Old 10-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

I like to make it into sausage for breakfast patties, spaghetti sauce, and pizza. I could eat it everyday, but I do have to make room for the elk, deer, antelope, and grouse.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Spike

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by crazydd4
Going hunting in a month, what should I do with the meat, provided I kill one?
Asuming your talking about black bear? It is some of the finest wild game I have ever eaten. You should take care of the meat as you would any other big game animal, clean it, skin it and get it to a cooler ASAP. Eat it! Just be sure you cook it as you would pork.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

[1] get the hide off as soon as possible..[2] than remove as much fat as possible...[3]open it up remove everything [don't eat the liver] and let it cool ,wrap it up with cheeze cloth ..bear tastes a lot better than deer ...all of the meat must be well done no medium rare steaks or hamburgers ...
Old 10-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am glad some people like it.. I can not stand the taste of it at all.. The wife likes it and wanted me to shoot one. I told her sorry but I will not shoot one for her as they taste terrible to me.. I have tried it a few times and always tasted the same to me..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 10-24-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im baffled when people say black bear tastes like pork? Ive had my share and IMO, its nothing like pork at all, its not even white meat, its red and tastes more like venison or beef to me. Its does have alot of fat though and can carry tricinosos like pork, so like someone else said, make sure you cook it thoroughly.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

Bear is not something you just "throw on the barbie" 'cause it will quickly get your attention! Cut off ALL of the fat and "silver skin." It lends itself to chillis, stews and pasta sauces. Bear makes superb hams and "corned bear" if you can find someone to do it. I've also had some GREAT pepperoni and summer sausage from bear. My sister uses rendered bear fat in her pie crusts, ...... hate to think of the cholesterol, but she has to put the filling in to keep the crusts on the table, they're so light!