Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Archery OR Elk in the Tioga area?? >

Archery OR Elk in the Tioga area??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Archery OR Elk in the Tioga area??

Old 01-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Archery OR Elk in the Tioga area??

wanting to know if anyone has any advice on a good time to hunt them and also what calls i should use, (ie brand name of calls that you have found to work for you)..

any and all advice would be appreciated....thanks
Old 01-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Archery OR Elk in the Tioga area??

Turk,

We hunted the unit 3 years ago. But it was rifle. So can't really help you on the archery. But we did see a decent amount of elk. We passed a few small bulls earlyon the first day.. But didn't see many bulls that weren't spikes for small fork horns. So on day 4 we went back to the first spot and were stunned to see the 2 bulls we passed on day one still there. They had huge bodies as they were Roosevelts. Their luck expired. One was a 5 x 4 and the other a 5 x 6. Take lots of rain gear and dry boots.

Goatslayer........
Old 01-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GoatSlayer

Turk,

We hunted the unit 3 years ago. But it was rifle. So can't really help you on the archery. But we did see a decent amount of elk. We passed a few small bulls earlyon the first day.. But didn't see many bulls that weren't spikes for small fork horns. So on day 4 we went back to the first spot and were stunned to see the 2 bulls we passed on day one still there. They had huge bodies as they were Roosevelts. Their luck expired. One was a 5 x 4 and the other a 5 x 6. Take lots of rain gear and dry boots.

Goatslayer........
Thanks Goat,

did you call to any of the elk or was it all spot and stalk type hunting? Which rifle season did you put in for... the late or early??
Old 01-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

Turk,

It was the last rifle season. All spot and stalk. It rained to beat the band from the moment we arrived until the day we left. I am glad we didn't try the muzzy season as we had planned. I don't think we could have kept the powder dry that year even if we had tried. We have hunted Blacktail in the area several years and never saw it rain that much for so long without any type of break. It was difficult to hunt as it was super slippery. We did have a friend that lived out there around Coos Bay he doesn't hunt but knows how to find elk. So that really worked to our advantage.

Goatslayer........
Old 01-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the reply Goat, I appreciate it. I am hoping the archery season is dry, but if rain was to be their we (my brother and I) will be fine. We have a friend who has a cabin and we will be hunting on his property.

Hopefully come Sept., you will see a post on here if we get one (cow or bull).