HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Sidearm for Bear (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/282381-sidearm-bear.html)

Bergcrane2 01-12-2009 09:23 AM

Sidearm for Bear

What's the least you'd carry for protection against grizzly bear? I just picked up a 45 ACP, I'm just not sure if it has enough energy to be effective.

crenshaw 01-12-2009 09:38 AM

RE: Sidearm for Bear

I carry a Ruger Blackhawk, in a .357Mag. Wouldnt mind something a little bigger but wouldnt like the extra weight of carrying it around.

BINUSH 01-12-2009 09:44 AM

I dont want this to sound like I am breaking your balls or anything, but I think your chain of events is a little off on this one. You should have made the post and then get some feed back before you got the gun. With that said, I would say no. Hell no!! Now there are going to be people who say with a well placed shot you could deff drop a bear with that caliber. But lets put it in context here, you said protection. Which to me means "the S@#T has hit the fan, which also means you have a charging Grizzly Bear. If that is indeed the case I would like my handgun cartrige to look as much like a rifle cartrige as possible and if it just happen to say .MAG at the end of it all the more better..... I would really take a look at some of the guns S&W puts out for that exact situation...Pull the trigger and worry about your wrists later, at least you will be alive... Hope that helped...

Bergcrane2 01-12-2009 10:01 AM

ORIGINAL: BINUSH

I dont want this to sound like I am breaking your balls or anything, but I think your chain of events is a little off on this one. You should have made the post and then get some feed back before you got the gun. With that said, I would say no. Hell no!! Now there are going to be people who say with a well placed shot you could deff drop a bear with that caliber. But lets put it in context here, you said protection. Which to me means "the S@#T has hit the fan, which also means you have a charging Grizzly Bear. If that is indeed the case I would like my handgun cartrige to look as much like a rifle cartrige as possible and if it just happen to say .MAG at the end of it all the more better..... I would really take a look at some of the guns S&W puts out for that exact situation...Pull the trigger and worry about your wrists later, at least you will be alive... Hope that helped...
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. I just wanted to hear from someone who's been there before. I bought the 45ACP mainly for home protection. Looks like I'll just have buy another gun. Oh darn. :)

salukipv1 01-12-2009 11:14 AM

Brown bear?

.44 mag, .480 ruger, any of the S&W monsters....460, 500

DM 01-12-2009 12:20 PM

I'd take a short bbled shotgun with slugs over a handgun any day of the week...

DM

Bergcrane2 01-12-2009 12:29 PM

ORIGINAL: DM

DM
That might make it tough hunting though. A heavy sidearm is bad enough. I think I'd like 5 or 6 shots rather than 2 also.

millagerobert 01-12-2009 01:13 PM

I'm mostly in Black Bear, Cougar, and Wolf country, but there are a few Griz around. I pack a S&W 686 7 shot with a six inch barrel in .357. I usually stoke it with some 158 grain hard cast flat points loaded to about 1300 fps, so I'll get good penetration on targets. While I wouldn't want to have to bet on stopping a Griz in its tracks with this set up, any larger caliber gun with a long enough barrel for accuracy, I find just too heavy to lug around on hiking and backpacking trips when I don't have my rifle with me. Maybe an animal would take seven of these rounds and keep comming, but I guess I'll play the odds of A: Avoiding the confrontation in the first place, and B: 7 158 grainers persuading the beast to find an easier meal elswhere.

AK Jeff 01-12-2009 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Bergcrane2

ORIGINAL: DM

DM
That might make it tough hunting though. A heavy sidearm is bad enough. I think I'd like 5 or 6 shots rather than 2 also.
You can'toverlook the speed at which most bear attacks take place. Under most conditions where a bear is bent on attacking you, you'll be lucky to get 1 or 2 shots off, let alone 5 or 6. I've only ever been charged by one bear (black) andit happened FAST. Luckily the bear turned off at just a few yards out, but if I'd have had a sidearm with me I really doubt I could have gotten a singlehalfway aimed shot off. There's no way I could have gotten off multiple rounds. I'd say your .45 ACP is way underpowered for griz. The only auto that gets much mention for being reliable grizzly defense guns are Glocks in 10mm and even those get there share of ridicule. Generally .44 mag revolvers and larger are considered adequate bear defense and if weight is an issue look at the S&W titanium/scandium models.

crenshaw 01-12-2009 02:22 PM

AKJeff is right. it happens really fast. I have never been attacked by a grizzly however i have been charged at by a black bear. I just raised my bow over my head to look tall and got really lucky the bear turned.

However i do know a guy that has been attacked a couple times by grizzly's. He is a guide in wyoming. the first time the bear charged picking him up by his side and shaking him like a dog shakes a chew tow. His hunter shot the bear with a cross bow, he got lucky. his gun was shaken from his hand and he never got off a shot.

the second time the bear charged, and grabbed him by his leg. and started dragging him into the timber that time the hand gun worked a little better, butas he said it wasnt full proof.

He now carries a small lever action winchester in a 44mag when he guides, he says anything with in 50yards is getting a warning and then shot! When he hunts he uses a 44mag ruger blackhawk, says the smaller it is the easier it is to pull out and shoot, you dont want a long barrel cause it will get hung up. But you should also get a holster that goes on your chest. chest holsters distribute weight better and wont cause you to fatigue as easy, also you can get the gun out easier!