Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Kentucky Elk

Old 01-14-2009, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Kentucky Elk

ORIGINAL: hunting junkie

ho do you get in the drawing
Go online at the Kentucky Dept of fish & wildlife. Its online only starting this year. You can do so now!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've put in online for the last 5 years.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found it, my only question is there is different seasons and dates ,are they all drawed different
or once you are drawed for bow say for example do you get to hunt thru such and such dates and then the other dates too?
Old 01-14-2009, 11:24 AM

ORIGINAL: hunting junkie

I have found it, my only question is there is different seasons and dates ,are they all drawed different
or once you are drawed for bow say for example do you get to hunt thru such and such dates and then the other dates too?
The way I understand it...you just put in for the general lottery, for $15. THEN IF DRAWN, they divide up the winners and draw based on preference to put you into one of the 8 zones or hunting areas. There is no division of seasons, from what I understand. In other words, I am fairly certain you are just given your unit, and can utilize any of the seasons available to get your elk, archery, ML, rifle...doesn't matter.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think thats how it works. I have never looked into it much, because the odds of winning are so marginal.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

maybe kybuck20032001 can help he's been drawn before
Old 01-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

you just put in for the draw.There is no preference points in kentucky for elk.if you are drawn you can hunt any of the seasons. the year that i was drawn there were two units, a limited entry area, and a zone at large area. But in 2008 they started, i believe 6 units. once you get drawn you will recieve notice through the mail. you have x amount of days to pick the top 3 units you would like to hunt. they then do a random draw for the units. so if unit 1 has a hundred tags for it and 200 people list it as there top choice only 100 will be able to hunt there, and they will move on to your second choice. much like wyoming's draw. Hope that helps.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

From what i have seen in kentucky and out west i would say that that is possible with some of the western states like colorado for example. But states like arizona, new mexico, wyoming, and utah. I would say impossible. but without a doubt they are big in kentucky, alot easier to hunt, than western elk, you will see alot more, and you don't have to backpack, or horse ride for countless hours. It is a great experience, i truely enjoyed it and wish you all the best luck at getting drew. From what I have seen it doesn't even matter what unit you are in, elk everywhere.

ORIGINAL: trevorpt

the taxidermist that i go to said that a two year old bull in ky has the same antler size if not bigger antlers than a four year old bull out west... i dont know if this is true but that is what he said
Old 01-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kybuck20032001

From what i have seen in kentucky and out west i would say that that is possible with some of the western states like colorado for example. But states like arizona, new mexico, wyoming, and utah. I would say impossible. but without a doubt they are big in kentucky, alot easier to hunt, than western elk, you will see alot more, and you don't have to backpack, or horse ride for countless hours. It is a great experience, i truely enjoyed it and wish you all the best luck at getting drew. From what I have seen it doesn't even matter what unit you are in, elk everywhere.

ORIGINAL: trevorpt

the taxidermist that i go to said that a two year old bull in ky has the same antler size if not bigger antlers than a four year old bull out west... i dont know if this is true but that is what he said
i like to hear that there are lots of elk in all the units... now i just need to get drawn
Old 01-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

thats right. its is an experience. id like to give it another go around, with a bull tag. good luck to u
Old 01-21-2009, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

can non-res apply in KY? any chance of a B&C bull?

Yes, the draw is open to all. According to the RMEF, the Kentucky elk herd is the fastest growing herd in the country. Because of no winter kill the bulls have a much easier time recovering from the rut and the calf survival rate isoutstanding.They are expecting B&C bulls to be taken. It is definately worth applying for.

Quick Reply: Kentucky Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.