Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Shooting stick, good or bad >

Shooting stick, good or bad

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Shooting stick, good or bad

Old 01-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Spike

Default Shooting stick, good or bad

I picked up a nice Weatherby .70 this pastyear and used it fordeer hunting. I consider myself a decent shot but when recently confronted with a 200 yard standing shot I had a difficult time holding it on my target. At about $2.00 a shot I can't do an extensive amount of shooting and the Weatherby is quite a bit heavier than my previous synthetic rifle.

I would like to know if they work well indifferent terrains especially when I would need one "quickly." Do you find carrying them a big hassle and worth carrying one with you? What are all the pros and cons and if you were to recommend one, which one?

Maybe I should go back and use my lighter synthetic!

Thanks,

DD
Old 01-02-2009, 08:15 AM

Default RE: Shooting stick, good or bad

I would recomend the stoneypoint, tri-pod. I carry mine on the back of my day pack. And it is well worth having. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife uses a mono pod shooting stick. I do not useshooting sticks, I think they are more of a pain to carry around than they are worth.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:29 PM

I use a bi-pod and am very happy with it. I used to use a Harris bi-pod which attaches to the gun, but could never get comfortable in a prone possition. I keep my bipod extended to the height I will use (kneeling), and keep it there while in the field. The legs can be set narrow or spread to give you some adjustment in height. I don't have any problem carrying it in one hand and the rifle slung on my shoulder or cradleing it. I think the bipod may be a quicker set-up for a shot than the Harris was.
If you can't borrow one to try it out, you can make one by tying two long sticks together(1/2" dowel,1/2 roundmoulding, couple of fishing poles) just to get a feel for shooting off of sticks.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:40 AM
Fork Horn

ive made my own bipod and i use the harris bipod. both have their advantages and disadvantages. the one i made was really handy and pretty quick to set up but didnt give any adjustment, i had to do all the adjusting which isnt always easy depending on the shot.thebiggestproblem i hadwas i would carry it for most of the day and then gettired of carrying it or forget it in the truck and thats exactly when i woundup needing it of course.
thats what is nice about the harris bipod because it attaches to the gunso you dont have to worry about if you have it or not. i dont like that its not tall enough for me to shoot from a kneeling position unless im shooting uphill or downhill. and its heavier than the bipod i made which makes shooting off hand alot harder to be accurate at.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Nothing beats the good old fundamentals of shooting. Prone, sitting, kneeling, or standing. Ive used sticks a fair bit too but I dont believe they're better than the 4 basic positions, except for standing. I can get more steady sitting with the assist from my sling with out the use ofsticks than sitting behind sticks. Making the most from your sling makes a world of differnce. Bad thing Ive learned from sticks, takes few seconds to get them out and set up, animal might be leaving the area before you shoot....
Old 01-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

The Versa-pod is another good one...
Old 01-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

200yds offhand? is far for anyone, heck just shooting offhand is tough for most.

Personally I find making your own shooting sticks better than anything on the market.
You can then adjust them quickly to any height simply by spreading the legs out further, instead of unscrewing and making the legs longer etc...

Old 01-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

stoney point bi-pod. great sticks.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

Have you thought about a shooters sling? Also, you don't need to use live ammo to practice shooting with your Weatherby. You can practice holding the rifle steady at a distant objectwith an empty chamber. Try holding steady for 5 seconds then a few seconds rest and repeat- keep building up to where you can hold it steady for about a minute. The more you build up the muscles you use to dothis the easier it will become. When you are able to hold it steady for some time try shooting a snap cap after you have beenholding it steady fora while- work on keeping the cross hairs on target when the trigger is pulled.

Quick Reply: Shooting stick, good or bad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.