HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   bear outfitter? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/280918-bear-outfitter.html)

jwred306 01-01-2009 08:22 PM

bear outfitter?

I am looking to go on a bear hunt this year and I am looking for some recommendations. I have been looking at going to Canada to hunt but I am unsure if it is worth the trip or just stay in the USA. Does any one have any input on a reputable bear outfitter in Canada and the USA, also whats everyone take on hunting bear in Canada over hunting bear in the USA. I have hunted boar and deer for a couple years but this would be my first bear hunt and I would like to make sure that it is a good experience. Thanks for any input.

Bowflex 01-01-2009 08:46 PM

RE: bear outfitter?

I can recommend All-Terrain Bear Hunts in Thompson Manitoba.

www.atvh.ca

The bears in Canada are generally bigger and your chance of getting a color phase bear is also higher. Do your homework, read Bear Hunter magazine and watch all the videos you can.

MAKOMAM1 01-02-2009 10:52 AM

Dale Mckinnon outfitters

DALE & DEBRA MCKINNON
P.O. Box 600
Lac La Biche, Alberta, Canada T0A 2C0
Ph: 780-623-3040

I hunted with them 2 years ago, great outfiitter, big bears and plenty of wolf----I am looking to go again---good luck

DTC 01-02-2009 09:01 PM

I hunted with Brian Keen of Sclater River Outfitters in Manitoba and had a great trip. Going back in June for round 2. He runs it with his son. They only take 4 hunters in the spring and 4 in thefall so you know it isn't overhunted. All of his fall hunters last year back out so it hasn't been hunted in a year. Should be a good tirp. Good luck in your search.

Pro-Line 01-04-2009 04:53 AM

I've been on 3 fall hunts in Ontario...as they no longer havea spring hunt. We went to Horwood Lake Lodge not far from Timmins.

Our trips were wonderful. The lake is 30 miles long with a lot of good fishing...and they are covered up in bears. They did change ownership, but I knew the old owner well and he told me that the new owners were real hard workers at baiting.

www.horwoodlakelodge.com

Their facilities are comfortable...24hr electric...and if you eat their food, it's unbeatable.

Edcyclopedia 01-04-2009 08:25 AM

I myself, under the current economy, would rather keep the money in the good old USA...

Not to discount any Canadian outfitters, as some day I too will venture across the border for a whitetail hunt
and possibly a bear hunt. I happen to be full blooded french Canadian decent, so I certainly would consider
any hunt in Canada secondly... I am actually looking into a bear hunt in New Brunswick for spring bear, this will
help me split the uprights from NH hunting season. You know, it gets you through the lull!:)

Maine has some of the best black bear hunting in the country, from my knowledge, so if you research the
state of Maine and want more info let me know?

jwred306 01-04-2009 06:49 PM

I appreciate all the input on the outfitters, its always nice to hear about first hand experience with outfitters. As staying in the US, I have just seen more bear hunts for Canada then for the US which is why I looking into both. I wasn't sure if the bear hunting in Canada was that much better.Staying in the US would be cheaper for me also. Thanks again for every ones input.

Phil from Maine 01-04-2009 07:36 PM

Yeah, i am from the Washington County area up here and most that wants to shoot a bear does so. Sorry no spring bear hunts here though. The biggest bear I can recall that was shot up this way was just a ways out of Grandlake Stream 2 years ago. It was just over 600 pounds so we do have some bruins up here that is for sure. I think that bear went aroung 612lbs. though most are smaller and getting 1 in the 4 to 5 hundred pound range is more common for our big bears..

savage3006 01-05-2009 07:33 PM

I have hunted with Cedar Ridge, in Jackman Maine. Nice people.

Idaho Bison 01-05-2009 11:49 PM

Try Stormy Ridge Outfitters in Utah and Arizona. They have getting big bears and cats. www.stormyridgeoutfitters.com

If you are looking for spot and stock check out the Quinault Indian Reservationguided hunts at http://www.bigbearhunting.com/