Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Muley novice

Old 12-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Muley novice

I am considering a mule deer hunt in the next 2 years. I've hunted whitetails for 20+ years, but I know nothing about hunting muleys. I've done some reading online, and Utah and Colorado look to be good places to go. Anywhere else that I am missing? This will be a DIY with a friend or 2 who are also clueless about this.I've read there are also mule deer in the Dakotas and parts of Nebraska. Any tips on where I should consider a hunt? OTC tags are a plus if available. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Muley novice

bow? rifle?

What state are you in?

Old 12-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

We will be rifle hunting, I'm in IL as well.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:00 PM

Nebraska has a decent population of mule deer. You would want to hit the panhandle and sandhills area. There is quite a bit of public ground available. Some gets lots of pressure during rifle season, but there are some areas that don't. And I can't see you having any problem gettin a tag.

If you do look this way, give me a yell, I will help you out if I can.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default old

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-20-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:51 PM

Default RE: Preference points

BBM - In the fall of 2007, I hunted Mulies for the first time in Colorado.I takes 7 years of preference points to draw unless you buy a landowner tag, which can be expensive. I hunted a small trac of private land, some BLM, and national forest.The benefit of lottery draws was there was very little pressure.

Washington State is one state that has OTC tags for Mulies, but as other said, you'll be covered up with hunters on public land.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Preference points

To clarify what Summt states...there are SOME units in CO that take 7 points to draw, but not all. In fact, there are plenty of units that can be drawn with no points. Idaho has general (OTC) season hunts and draw odds for Montana hover around 50% for a Deer A tag.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:52 AM

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

I am considering a mule deer hunt in the next 2 years. I've hunted whitetails for 20+ years, but I know nothing about hunting muleys. I've done some reading online, and Utah and Colorado look to be good places to go. Anywhere else that I am missing? This will be a DIY with a friend or 2 who are also clueless about this.I've read there are also mule deer in the Dakotas and parts of Nebraska. Any tips on where I should consider a hunt? OTC tags are a plus if available. Thanks.
BB, you might want to consider eastern Montana. It's a draw but good percentages in the eastern part of the state. Also, the terrian is easier and more forgiving, plus you could hunt antelope as well for a great hunt. High success ratios even on public land, and a pretty east DIY hunt.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

As mentioned above, the Pine Ridge Unit of Nebraska is the easiest tag to draw,normally 100%. Eastern Montana also has a large population of Mulies if you make the draw. Mule Deer bucks are definately different than whitetails as they like to be up as high as they can get to see as far as they can while they bed down most of the day. The rut is the best time to hunt Mulies as you will see more bucks then as they chase their harems around during the daylight hours.The difference in pre rut and rut is amazing. The bucks seem to literally come out of nowhere. Unlike whitetails that live in close proximity to people and adjust to human scent and activity by hiding close by, if a mature mulie buck sees you or catches your scent, he won't stop running for a mile or more. For years it was common tobe ready to shoot if you jumped a mulie as he would hop to the top of the nearest ridge, turn broadside and look back to see what you were doing. Most of those are now dead but a few will still do that in low pressured areas, so alwayskeep that thought in mind.Now most run like an antelope or an elk making distance their safety. Practice with your rifle at the longest range that you can. Itwill greatly increase yourchances of successto be capable of making 300-400 yd. shots. Practice on a lifesize silhouette of a deer as that gives you an idea what the deer looks like in your scope at those ranges. Also a range finder is very useful as judging distances in mule deer country is a whole new realm of expertise.
Good Luck
Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 PM

I live in Wyoming so I'm not all that familiar with other states.
Wyoming is a drawing only deer tag for non-residents. And yes, they use a prference point system, but they have a built in system in the drawing that allows a smal percentage of first time aplications to draw a tag. Otherwise, what would be a guys motivation to even put in? And inWyoming, you apply for a REGION, not just one hunt area. A region will have anywhere from around 8 areas up to 12 or more. That allows the non-resident to hunt a much larger part of the state than just on particular area.
Oh, and we got Mulies!I've seen mulies on public lands that I thought were elk!We also have more public land to hunt than any neighboring state. Nat'l Forrest, BLM, State sections, and a lot of private land that is accessable to hunt called "Walk-in" areas.
The application period in from Jan 1, to Mar 15. Check out a lot of info at: http://gf.state.wy.us/index.asp
Another unmentioned difference between hunting white tails and mulies, is that the deer season here is BEFORE the rut (for the most part anyway). No mulie hunting during the rut. Mulies can be in heavy timber to open sage covered flats and ridges.

Quick Reply: Muley novice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.