Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I got the green light!!!!

Old 12-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default I got the green light!!!!

Well even though my wife hates hunting, hates guns and hates spending money (this last one I don't mind so much) she's given me the green light to get the Browning BLR that I've been drooling over for the last 2-3 years.

I have a Marlin30-30 anda 1950's era Husquvarna in 270 win. My son (14 yrs) and I hunt mule deer here in CO and I will go on my first Elk hunt next year. My son will follow, I'm sure. All my shots so far have been well inside of 200 yds, but I still prefer something that shoots fairly flat out to 300 yds, because 300 is my personal ethical limit and don't like thinking too much about drop.

I considered the BLR in 30-06, 270win, 308, 300 WSM and 270 WSM. I was disappointed but I ruled out the long action 30-06 and 270 win because the long action just doesn't fit me. I love the feel of the BLR in 308 but I did some math on the ballistics of the 308 and in the 20" barrel of the BLR and it didn't look so good. It really drops after 200 yds. I really like the versatility of the 300 WSM, but I'm very concerned about the recoil of this round in the light weight BLR. I'm not overly recoil sensitive but I prefer to go toward lighter recoil. I just don't want to hate shooting my big investment and I understand from a few owners that these guns have a pretty stout kick to start with. I am also a bit concerned about the price of ammo for the WSMs. There isn't a cheap alternative other than reloading, but I have a reloader my brother gave me and I figure that I can buy dies and reload once I build up some brass. I'm hoping that ammo doesn't continue to go up in $$$$.

Well that leaves me with the 270 WSM. I really like what I've read about it and I like the 270 in general. I know some will say that it is on the light side for elk, but I don't shoot past 300yds (intentionally) and I'll use Accubonds or Partitions. I feel comfortable with it for what I need.

Is there anything that I'm not taking into consideration?

FYI..I posted this in the "Guns" forum as well.

Spud

Old 12-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Spike

Default RE: I got the green light!!!!

If you are a mule deer hunter that 270 wsm is good medicine. If you are thinking about elk or moose, I would be looking hard at that 300.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

I think the 308 is a great choice. The 308 ballistics are actuallyvery goodin a 20 Inch barrel. You will only loose around 20 FPS per inch with the 308 and 300 yards would bedo-able especially at the altitudes you most likely hunt. I do not have any personal experience, but I would suspect the 308 would feed much better than the sharper shouldered, WSM in a lever gun.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Bullelk, I like the 300WSM, but from folks I've talked with in this light, straight stalked gun, it has a very hard kick. Have you heard anything to the contrary? Not a lot of these guns out there so I've had a hard time getting any 1st hand feedback.

Scott, I used the 20 FPS rule and of course in the 20" barrel the 308 loses a lot more than the 270WSM that comes in a 22" barrel. I'm making some assumptions about the subsequent drop because I don't have any know way to calculate that, but I assume it will be proportionate. That puts the 270 WSM still close to 10" of drop or less and the 308greater than that (I'm guessing). I would use a 140 grn bullet for the 270 WSM and probably stick with it and I would probably use a 165 grn bullet for the 308. If I went up to 180 in the 308 the drop would be greater and almost definitely make it closer to a 200 yrd elk gun.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the choices you gave, I would opt for the 30-06.

Why? The 06 can do everything the 70 WSM can, and probably one step better because you have the option of using bigger lead in certain instances.

Also, compare the ammo prices. The 06 prices will be considerably cheaper since it is a much more common caliber. Forget your ammo at home? 06 shells can be found just about anywhere. Same can't be said for the 270WSM.

Don't get me wrong, the 270WSM is a great caliber, but it will cost a lot more in the long run to shoot unless you reload.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the 308 and shoot the 165 gr Barnes triple shocks. Potent medicine out to your self imposed limits.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

there all good calibers. choose what you think will do the best for what you hunt.

I personally shoot the .300WSM. I use it on whitetails, Mule Deer and Elk and if i ever draw some other tags ill use it on whatever they are. Alot of shot variation, from 180 accubond on elk to 150gr for deer and antelope. its flat and powerful. Short action also makes it smaller and lighter in most cases.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was really disappointed in the Browning BLR. I am a Browning man but my BLR just never showed the kind of accuracy that I expected from a Browning. I also had a hard time with reloads. When I got up near factory velocity for the 7MM-08, I would get hard and sticky ejection. Even after hundreds of rounds and different combination's, it just wouldn't come around. I finally traded it for a Browning A-Bolt light weight composite stalker in 308. Couldn't be happier now. If you get it, I wish you better luck than I had.

My wife loves to hunt and loves her 250 Savage. If I can't get a gun to group I let her try it. If it won't group for her, it's gone. She really doesn't like shooting anything bigger than a 270 though.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Well even though my wife hates hunting, hates guns and hates spending money (this last one I don't mind so much) she's given me the green light to get the Browning BLR that I've been drooling over for the last 2-3 years.
Sounds like ti's time to find a new wife....
Old 12-23-2008, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's nice of your mom to let you buy something that you REALLY want.

She's a cool mom.

Seriously...how long have you been married? I'm guessing a very short time. If you'd been married more than 15 years...you'd have bought it just to spite her.

I love the .308 by the way.

Quick Reply: I got the green light!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.