Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Dad's Trip to Africa (2008) >

Dad's Trip to Africa (2008)

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Dad's Trip to Africa (2008)

Old 12-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dad's Trip to Africa (2008)

Well my first experience....really was a horseback mule deer hunt in WY, I was young 12, my horse kept going down to his knees, tired/lazy, I do not know, eventually he went completely down for a nap, with me, my rfile, etc..all the way to his side, luckily I got my leg/foot out in time.

Then I was in NM on an archery elk hunt couple years back, no personal problems, other than the horse kinda listened.....

my dads horse...took off with him on it....funny story, since he didn't die....otherwise it could've been real serious, there was soft ground all over...recent burn, but scatted rocks, 5lb size all over, his horse took off like a pure bred racehorse, he over the course of 200yds....came to be riding the side of the horse, eventually thrown/fell off, in a soft spot without any rocks, kinda a miricle, there were rocks all around his impression...

I'll personally never own a horse, or should say take care of one....and ya Zebra is high on the list of animals to shoot while in africa....no remorse there, maybe even a lil payback, haha.

If they only made an electric horse! that lasted for a 15 day hunt....i'd buy one of those!

So I won't avoid a future hunt because its on horseback.

I did read about a couple who hunted with lamas....I think they basically just used them as a pack train to carry all their gear in, and elk out....and probably just hiked along side of them, that sounded more my style. Wait they may have been El Pacas...either way perhaps one day....

Also on that NM hunt.... another guy brought something up about shooting a zebra horse...and wouldn't want to, then another guy said the same thing I essentially did, that he has friends that would love to shoot a zebra....

Old 12-12-2008, 07:54 PM

Those are all incredible animals. The impala looks like an alien or something. It's face is very unusual.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

looks like he had a great trip!!