HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   OTC Antelope Tags? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/277323-otc-antelope-tags.html)

A11en 12-07-2008 05:32 PM

OTC Antelope Tags?

Does anyone know what states have OTC antelope tags. I love hunting Colorado, but its all lottery for pronghorn.

snip 12-08-2008 09:37 AM

RE: OTC Antelope Tags?

I outfit in South Dakota and Wyoming. South Dakota archery licenses are guaranteed and the Wyoming rifle and archery licenses are not guaranteed but very easy to draw.

oddhntr 12-08-2008 01:42 PM

your best bets are Wyoming and Montana

like snip said, archery permits are easy to draw

salukipv1 12-08-2008 09:42 PM

Idaho I believe is the only state with OTC antelope tags.....archery only though.

Other states maybe have near 100% draws for archery antelope however...

For high draw rifle antelope....I'd look to WY or MT.

MTMountainMan 12-10-2008 10:35 AM

Montana is not OTC but there are tons of permits and many don't get taken. We have tons of antelope and they are great hunting, but I think bigger bucks in WY. I'm not a trophy antelope hunter though.I like to limit out first morning. We can get 3 per person (if you draw right). You can easily see 100's in a day in good areas and with the way they trot through and stop you can get 3 out of a large herd as it goes by. Good eating and a great way to take some of the pressure off during elk season by getting some meat in the freezer early.

TEmbry 12-10-2008 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Idaho I believe is the only state with OTC antelope tags.....archery only though.

Other states maybe have near 100% draws for archery antelope however...

For high draw rifle antelope....I'd look to WY or MT.

While I think you are required to order them in advance, South Dakota archery antelope tags are 100%gauranteed as well. I went this past August, just fill out the form, mail it in with a check...and they will mail you back your tag(s) (can opt for an extra doe tag on top of your any sex tag). I plan on going back again sometime down the road.

A11en 12-11-2008 04:41 AM

I prefer to rifle hunt

MTmountainman are you talking about public land? If so, do you have recommendations on location (public land)

MTMountainMan 12-11-2008 07:02 AM

I hunt public land, yeah. Anywhere in Eastern MT there are tons of animals (muleys and antelope) and good access. I've heard it can be busy out there, but I've only driven through and drooled at the 1000's of animals you see. Anywhere east of Billings is going to have you in great goat habitat. I'm in the western part of the state and try to keep it close. I have a little hole of antelope habitat that I like to hit in the Big Hole. As far as western MT, there is great habitat north of Great Falls, near Whilte Sulfur Springs, and in the Madison and Big Hole River valleys. Look for sagebrush.

If you get here one day early you can find some antelope in the evening and watch them lay down. If nothing messes with them in the night they'll still be laying there in the morning.You can sneak in before sunup, wait,and BOOM!

If you'd like a little more information PM me.

salukipv1 12-11-2008 04:20 PM

A11en,

If you prefer to rifle, I'd look to MT, for pretty high draws, I drew my 1st year, my dad didn't but I think your 2nd year you're gurranteed.

WY has some 100% draw areas, though they may have bad access, or poor goats....

If you're into rifle antelope, you owe it to yoruself to apply everywhere build pts for the premo states/areas, and head there when youre lucky enough to draw a tag.

But as far as being able to hunt consistently rifle antelope, the 2 states I really only look to are MT and WY. SD and Nebraska aren't really even on my radar.

I believe even being an in stater in CO rifle antelope tags aren't very easy to draw....so it may be well worth yoru trouble to apply in WY and/or MT.

A11en 12-11-2008 07:03 PM

Salukipv1 - you're right about Colorado. In 07, I hunted mule deer for a week (3rd rifle season). I saw at least 200 mule deer andabout 40 elk. While in the valley, Isaw 100 Antelope everyday. I was told by a resident it take about 7 years to draw a tag.

Here are a few pics