Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

How big is this bear?

Old 12-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Spike

Default RE: How big is this bear?

I would guess less than 300 pounds. When you measure the front pads, measure the width, not the length. That will give a better estimate of the bear's size (not necessarily its weight).
Old 12-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Spike

Yep, like the guys said amybe 250 at best. here are a couple of pics of one pushing the 500lb mark real hard.

Got a few real up close and personal looks at this guy during the training season last year. He's just waiting for the right tag holder. Gets a little bigger every year. We have named him the bowtie bear due to the markings on his chest.

Steve
Old 12-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Spike

Most of those pictures look like an old sow. She has a sagging belly and a big ass. I know this bear is a sow because of its long face and I know this bear is not in the 500 pound range because sows just dont get that big. A good bear will have three to four ears lengths between there ears.

The picture above is not 500 hundred pounder also because of the ears in comparison with the head.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Spike

Tandrhunts- I agree with you on the whole ear thing, that is a good guideline. I have to beg to disagree on my pics though. Like I said I have been up close and personal a few times with this bear. It's track measures 6" that across not long. I am a well seasoned hound hunter, and have had others more seasoned than myself see and estimate this bear higher. i know the ears in that pic are decieving. The bear would be standing about 7ft from the camera. We treed what we have named the son of bowtie, as the markings are close with a partial bowtie. With 70 years of combined bear hunting standing under the tree 20ft away we estimated him at 300lbs.

Tracks are also just a guideline. Have seen many 5" tracks on a 200lb bear. There is no substitute though for being 5ft away pulling dogs back, or watching it walk by you at 10ft. It's my job to guess these guys as best as possible to help provide a good hunt. Still it is always just a guess until they are hanging from the scale.

Had one this past season that had a 5" track. We we seen him all we saw was the head and front shoulders. From that we were guessing well over 300lbs. After it was all done we were suprised how small the back end was. Guesses before the scale topped at 250.I also guessed 217. The scale tipped jsut over 200. Not a ounce of fat on this bear on the last sunday of the bear hunt this year. Onskinning found it to have been shot by bird shot more than once. Judging by the teeth it wasa very old bear on the way down. With the amount of fat reserves we doubt it would have made the winter.

It's all guesswork, but time hunting them helps a little. Still even the guy that has been hunting them 50yrs is still off on occasionally. Seems my daughter at 16 can guess them better at times. maybe the young eyes have something to do with it.

Your friend in hunting,

Steve
Old 12-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Spike

Very agreeable bears are the hardest animal in the world to judge I sware, like you said steve hunting them helps a little but you can never be axact on the size.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:17 AM

That Bear is 300 to 325 when you look at the pad, measure the pad and if its 5 inches across you add 1 that means its a 6 foot bear, Ive killed tons of bears, and when i bait I always can judge the bear by the pad. That bear is for sure 300 without a doubt.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:12 PM

Hi,
THE PICYURES ARE SO AMAZING AND SO GOOD.
I HAVEN'T SEEN SUCH NICE PICS BEFORE AND THE DEAR IS LOOKING SO BEAUTIFUL.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

if that's a 500 pound bear, than that is a 650 pound buck
Old 12-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are 2 pics that show the bear and the buck standing in almost the exact same spot. There is a white stick off to the left. The white stick looks like it isat the bears back. The white stick comes to the middle of the deers butt.

I just did a google search and mid range of a deers height is 36 inches. If this is the case, the deers butt (36 inches)would be above the white stick. I would say the back of the bear in that second from last bearpicture would bearound the second ring on a 55 gal drum. That would put the bear in the 5 foot range give or take.

If indeed that is a sow, that should put spring weight in the 200-250 range if she is older as suspected in earlier posts.

I do think that you also have pics of 2 different bears.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:12 PM

I say this bear will at least go 350 .

Quick Reply: How big is this bear?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.