Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 I want a Range Finder.???? >

I want a Range Finder.????

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I want a Range Finder.????

Old 11-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Spike

Default RE: I want a Range Finder.????

thanks for all the info guys. i bought the bushnell scout 1000. i didnt get the arc feature on it bc they had a mail in rebate on the regular model so i got it for 200 bucks. it seems to work really well. i got a reading on a black cow ant 458 yards and a tree line at 280 through the truck window
Old 11-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: goose142004

thanks for all the info guys. i bought the bushnell scout 1000. i didnt get the arc feature on it bc they had a mail in rebate on the regular model so i got it for 200 bucks. it seems to work really well. i got a reading on a black cow ant 458 yards and a tree line at 280 through the truck window
`1A

great.
you dont need arc thing unless you are real high in a tree,like 25 ft.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Really. . .25ft up is 8.33 yards. If the deer is 40 yards(long bow shot) away, the angle is 12 degrees. That makes the ARC range 39 yards. Hmm, is that a different pin?

Maybe at 20 yards. . . 18 yards ARC measurement. Is that a different pin?

Anyways, this is my point about ARC. For a police sniper. . .

600 yard shot at a 50 degree angle. . .386 yards ARC distance. This is where it matters, but I'm guessing that guy can guess he is shooting down about 45 deg, so he would have the cos 45 memorized as .70. (600/.1)x 7 in my head is 420 yards, yea. . .that is close enough for my rifle.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman
I GOT ONE CHEAP OFF OF E-BAY.

IT WAS SECOND HAND AND I GOT IT FOR 80 DOLLARS.

IT LISTED AT 199 DOLLARS.

if its windy, they dont work good.

if raining, same.

if you dont hold it very still, wrong reading.

if it says 1500 yds, expect it to only work out to 800 yds.
LOL, sounds like you got what you paid for.

I've never seen a rangefinder affected by wind before. I guess if it was raining hard enough you couldn't see it could affect it, but I've used mine in rain and I didn't notice a problem. It wasn't a torrential downpour but it wasn't adrizzle either.

I have a friend with a bushnell 1500 and we sat around one day and ranged different things for fun. We were both able to range the same things, his read a consistent 2 yards farther than my Nikon Monarch 1200. The most impressive thing we ranged to me was a working windmill at just over 1,000 yards.

I'm a fan of all Nikon optics. Their monarch line is the right bang for the buck for me.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

yes, wind.mine is BUSHNELL YARDAGE PRO SPORT.they sell new now for 149 dollars.

i had military guy test one i bought from him for 80 dollars.

he uses it at base.

he said when i bought it from him,WIND WILL GIVE YOU FALSE READINGS.

he was right, i tried it on windy day at home at about 50 yds, and it gave me bad reading.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

he uses it at base.

he was right, i tried it on windy day at home at about 50 yds, and it gave me bad reading.
Well, maybe if it's blowing on your hand so you can't hold it steady. How exactly does wind screw with a laser?
Old 11-26-2008, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: spaniel

he uses it at base.

Well, maybe if it's blowing on your hand so you can't hold it steady. How exactly does wind screw with a laser?
it does, cant answer why,he tested his on military base , he told me that before i bought it.

if you are interested in one, put a comment on here and you would be surprised at people that will have one for sale.

i got mine for 80 bucks including shipping.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used my Nikon Monarch in 30 - 40 mph winds and never noticed an issue with wind causing a different reading.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Opinions are worth what you pay for them......
That being said, go test some at an optics store. I did and found some interesting things.
I am a Leupold guy. All my scopes are Leupolds. Will never own a Leupold rangefinder as they are currently constructed. In my comparison, they were the least reliable RF tested. In fact, tested Swaro, Leica, Bushnell, Nikon and Loopys, all rated as 1000yd or more. Leupolds were the only ones that wouldn't register the 800 yard target and it was big and reflective. So no matter how much Joe Hunter swears by his or how much marketing is done, experience is all that counts.
I chose the Leicas. The swaros have the best optics. Higher power mono, but also heavier and more expensive.

And contrary to what some suggest here.....you can get range finders to range past 800 yards. I do all the time.
And once again, the swaros are tops there too. I have ranged road signs and other reflective objects out to over 1200 yards with my Leicas and out to 1500 with my buddies swaros.

Best idea? Try some out.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Not sure where you are getting your numbers.....and I don't have my chart at hand, but I can guarantee you that sitting in stand 20 feet, let alone 25,in the air and the animal is at 40 yards, it is more like a 32 yard shot with a bow. And might not be a different pin, but you better hold on a different spot or you just missed.

Quick Reply: I want a Range Finder.????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.