Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Help w/judging...please

Old 11-15-2008, 09:47 AM

Default RE: Help w/judging...please

You guys keep mentioning not making book....grab a bow and they make book easy![8D]

Mulies fascinate me, they are my most sought after animal right now...I hope to hunt them within the next two-three years.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: AlaskaMagnum

For mulies, spread is not all it is cracked up to be. Most people tend to try to measure the widest point on the rack, which is not correct. Mule deer bucks that tend to really score well have 1) LONG tines, and 2) good MASS. Long eye guards will also help the overall score. My guess is the buck on the top is around 160. He has great lower development, but look at his back forks, they are underdeveloped in comparison to his fronts. That will hurt his score. Most would consider that a trophy, but it would not make the books for that year, let alone overall. The second buck would probably be a 150-ish buck, but hard to tell from that angle.

That one antelope in the back, he's a good buck. Not OH MY GOD good, but a very good buck. Either would be a nice trophy for a anyone but the purest of trophy hunters, and any of them would certainly be nice mounts.

Also, from the well pad on the last antelope, I suspect you are in the Pinedale area?
Yep, I stay in Pinedale and work south ofthere about 30-40 miles.

You guys keep mentioning not making book....grab a bow and they make book easy!
That is what I would probably hunt with while chasing Mulies or antelope. From the looks of it around here, an antelope would be very easy to take with any kind of firearm. They are very abundant in this area.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:51 AM

Most guys would put a 14er on their wall. You figure a Lopes ears are about 6", so if you go twice that to the "url", then you got at least a 14er and probably more. Also, the prongs or "cutters" should stick out at least double the width of that horn. Capice? Big cutters, and 14"+ on length = wall hanger.
Me personally . . . I don't eat the horns anyway.
BTW . . . The width of spread does not add or detract from a lopes score.
Mulies, I'd stay closer to the ears being 20" tip to tip. Can vary though. But that way, if you always look for spread BEYOND the ear tips, then you got at least a 20"er and probably more. A 4X4 mulie past the ears is always a wall hanger. They never do have much for brow tines compared to white tails. Mass can be estimated by looking at the antler thickness (circumfrence) at the skull, and make sure it's at least as big around as the eyes. Bigger is always better. So length, # of tines, spread, and mass all add tp the scoring on a mulie.
Go to: http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/ScoringYourTrophy.asp?area=bgRecordsfor some interesting insight.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Kinda funny. It looks to me like the deer pics are all of the same deer. I would guess him at 155 and if you are lucky maybe 160. Is he a trophy -- heck ya. I would have no problem shooting or recommending my clients shoot him. He is a 3 year old class buck and is for sure a wall hanger. The lopes are for sure nice and pretty bucks. But like the earlier post only about P&Y class bucks. They would all be from 66 to 72 in my best guess. Actually just a bit on the shy side of trophy for Wyoming. They would go in the average category for a trophy. I don't believe any of them will go over 14 inches in length.

Bugleward