Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Del Sol Outfitters

Old 11-07-2008, 02:35 PM

Default RE: Del Sol Outfitters

Next point...

There was reference made of another hunter 7 miles away with another outfitter. I'm assuming that was me and Kirk Edgerton. It was a bit more like 15 miles away, but that is besides the point. I'm a die hard bowhunter, and each season I get the month of September off to hunt for myself. Kirk hunts with me. I was not in an official capacity as a guide. I was hunting with Kirk as a friend, not a guide and client. But I did know the area so, I guess that makes me the so-called "guide". I have to pay for the labor and the horses to go hunt for myself. And so does Kirk. He paid for a "Drop camp", just as I did.

Yes, we did get into elk, we saw about 9 bulls in 10 days on that trip. But I will note, on a 10-day hunt, we spent 2 days at base camp, the first night, and the last night. The rest of the time were freezing OUR asses off out in Bivy Sacks and tarps, eating Mountain House and candy bars. And didn't have a horse one at our disposal. Until we got picked up.

See, that is how you have to bowhunt elk in the wilderness. You have to get out of your comfort zone and cover some ground. And even then, it isn't guaranteed. I didn't kill an elk on that trip. But thank God Kirk did. And I'm not going to diminish our sacrifice and effort and apologize for working our tails off for his first bull. That was one of the highlights of my hunting career. And I know it was for him.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:53 PM

In closing...

I realize good, hard-earned money was paid for this trip. And I know the clients were disappointed in us, the elk numbers and everything else. But I will go to bat for our outfit, and defend it any day of the week. When we screw up, we recognize it, and do our best to remedy it. I'm sorry it wasn't the hunt that was expected. But we don't just throw clients in an area, because it is convenient for us. It is paramount that our hunters are successful and have a good time. That drives our business.

We learned from this experience as well. We are screening people more aggressively now. Getting the point across that this is tough country with cagey elk. I can't hammer the point enough that this is an extremely tough hunt.

This last season we had 3 groups who signed up for 10 day hunts, that called us within 7 days wanting out. One called within 5 days. I'm not saying that this group was like this, but my point is that maybe we have to do a better job in screening and laying out our deliverable verses the clients expectations.

By no means were we out to screw this group. Even offered to make it right with a trip this past year, and try to smooth things out. Whatever we could agree to and work out.

We live and die by word of mouth. I'm on a lot of forums, and read a lot in the outfitter review forums. I know what bad word of mouth can do. And we strive to make it right and do it right.

That is about all I can say at this point. Unless other arguments are brought up and mis-information is spread. Then I will speak up.

I will answer any direct questions anyone has about our outfit.

By the way, I'm new to this site. Never been on it before. So I will now browse around.

Regards,

Shay Mann

Old 11-07-2008, 03:34 PM

Although i was not mentioned by name in the first post, i know it was directed at me. I'm the hunter in the videos on Del Sol's site and you're partially correct, i was hunting with shay, not as a guest, but as a paid client. I make no excuses or appologies for being friends with Shay, he's a great guy and a damn good elk hunter, but just like you and everyone else, i pay to play. On all my hunts with Del Sol, i pay for drop camps, hunting bivy style from there and putting dozens on miles on my feet. I hunt hard, work my tail off, and have some success. The Eagle Cap is HUGE country and the hunting is very tough, that's why its referred to as a wilderness hunt. If you want easy game, a fluffy time, and not in shape, hunt somewhere else, plain and simple!

I've hunted with Del Sol a handful of times, all drop camps and my experience each time has been great......they've delivered as promised each and every time.

I hate for this to be my first post on this site, but i felt compeled to post up. Reputation is key and one person can easily make or break an outfit. So i'm posting up as a client and fan of Del SOl, not just as Shay's friend. If anyone has questions in regards to their outfit,feel free to drop me an e-mail.

Kirk Edgerton
aka...Arrowslinger on most other sites.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: shay mann

I should mention, that only one person paid for a guided hunt. The others paid for just a deluxe hunt. Which includes tent accommodations, cook, and all the basics that a camp would include. The guide (Jordan) was there for one reason, and that was to hunt for his only client. And he did. If there was a promise that the other clients would have riding horses, then I guess we didn't provide that. But we wouldn't have made an offer for riding horses, and just allowed them to take off on their own. Not with our insurance, and not with our animals. Jordan couldn't ride everybody out, because he was guiding for his client that paid the extra money for the guide.

Here is a quote from the guided client after the hunt.

"I saw your e-mail. Just so you know, I was pleased with my hunt and Jordan.
Jordan did a great job for me and is an overall great guy. I had my chances at a bull and was fortunate enough to get a shot at a huge bull. Tell Jordan hello for me and tell him I enjoyed the trip and meeting him. As far as the others, they were just disappointed in the number of elk they saw.
Me, I saw elk.
"

The tent situation, again, was a misunderstanding thinking that we had heaters in there. Which we didn't. But during the heat of the battle, we provide mantie tarps and horse pads to get them through the cooler nights. But my only question is that if someone knew they are going to bivy or spike out for a few nights away from the comforts of a deluxe camp setup, wouldn't that person have brought a heavier sleeping bag or bag liner, instead of a "lighter bag" as mentioned in the original complaint.
Sleeping in an un-heated dome tent is a far cry from a heated wall tent.I spend many nites on the mountain, and I know personally that warmth is critical to the hunt, this issue seems a little absurd to me, horse pads and mantie tarps, are you kiddin me? I'm not passing judgement at this point, but something is seriously screwed up with this scenerio, being wet and cold are the two worse things to deal with in my book. So what gives guys?
Old 11-07-2008, 04:20 PM

Good point, but who would head into the mountains unprepared for cold weather. I take two bags with me, one for each possibly extreme weather condition. Sometimes being well prepared is the first step to a successful trip.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Kirk Edgerton

Good point, but who would head into the mountains unprepared for cold weather. I take two bags with me, one for each possibly extreme weather condition. Sometimes being well prepared is the first step to a successful trip.
I believe that is the oufitters responsiblity isn't it? To define the parimeters of the hunt and the necessary equipment. Most outfitters have a weight load they enforce at the trailhead and most send an equipment list out to clients. If i were told I would be in heated wall tents i sure as hell wouldn't bring two bags. I've guided, done interior back pack hunts, horse back hunts andI have yet to bring two bags or see anybody else do that for that matter.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:45 PM

ORIGINAL: muley699

I believe that is the oufitters responsiblity isn't it? To define the parimeters of the hunt and the necessary equipment. Most outfitters have a weight load they enforce at the trailhead and most send an equipment list out to clients. If i were told I would be in heated wall tents i sure as hell wouldn't bring two bags. I've guided, done interior back pack hunts, horse back hunts andI have yet to bring two bags or see anybody else do that for that matter.
Here is the spike camp that was packed in for these guys. So I ask, If you know you were going to spike camp out, wouldn't you bring a bag for either both environments. Or have a bag that works in both.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:51 PM

ORIGINAL: muley699

You are right however. It is the outfitters responsibility to define the parameters of the the hunt and the necessary equipment. I'm in total agreement with you there. I'm not saying we weren't at fault with the tent issue.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:53 PM

Here is a photo of the tents that were used at base camp.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:57 PM

Photo of the camp setup....

Quick Reply: Del Sol Outfitters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.