Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS >

DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

Old 01-10-2009, 02:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

thanks for the insight
Old 01-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DougE

I don't have a dog in this fight and I'm not trying to discredit anyone.However,I have a few friends that have been hunting with Mr Stuckey for many years.I've actually heard nothing but praise from these guys.They claim the food,hospitality and accomodations and first class.They also claim that the hunting is world class.While I've never been there,I have seen their video footage and that kind of proof doesn't lie.They were at the Cobb ranch in 2007and had a lousy hunt because the fires were blocking the elk migration.I've been meaning to book a hunt for several years but I just don't have the time.

One guy I know from here went outaround 2006 and had apoor hunt and hated his guide.The rest of the guys that he went with had a great hunt however.I'm not saying what the original poster is claiming is wrong.It just hasn't been the same as what my friends have told me.
Perhaps what happened to us was a fluke. I truly hope it was. Nevertheless, that would not make it right, nor would it excuse the insults I received when I tried to politely explain our experience to Cal Stucky.I also want to state that I would never blame an outfitter for lack of game. That is beyond the control of any human. I do and will alwayshold them accountable for the actions of their employees and themselves. If your friends continue to book with them, then I truly hope that they have the hunts we all dream of. I simply want everyone to be aware of what my father's and my experience was so that they can weigh all of their options. I am guessing that I will not be on any reference list for Sage Mountain, so this is how I can inform people of my experience.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no problem with that.I had a terrible hunt several years ago in Colorado with an outfitter that I'd never recommend.Also,I have no personal experience with the Stuckys.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:05 PM

FYI !

First of all, i'm truely sorry to hear about your trip.

But, I just hunted with sage mountain this fall on a bowhunt for elk and it was amazing!
We didn't not hunt the cobb ranch. So i can not respond to your horrible experience there
but i can tell you about my experience with cal and renee and their wonderful guides.

It was 3 of us and we split up between 2 properties. both properties were over 20,000 acres each.

myself and one my friends were both hunting with compounds and were placed with a 2 young guides
on their ranch near the stucky ranch. the other friend was shooting traditional. So he was placed with a guide who was hunting on an amazing
ranch just 45 mins from ours. All of us had a first class experience all of us had shots 30 yards or closer. I've never seen this
much action in my life....non stop breathtaking action.

At the end of our hunt we had one bull dead and unfortunetly (truth be told) 2 wounded bulls which we never found and not without
a tremendous effort from all. luckly I got to fulfill a life dream of getting my first bull with a bow. he wasn't a giant (nice 5X5)but for me he was a dream come true... 25 yards double lung...thank god, he didn't go 40 yards. It was a clean, close and accurate shot. I had a much bigger bull than that at 40 yards broadside and decided to wait it out which really hurt me later when I realized that was my only shot. but hey man thats hunting. that next morning i had 2 shooter bulls with in 30 yards. You have to pick your moments just make sure they are truely within your kill zone and abilities. 45 yards for elk is not ethical for me. If you don't hit these animals perfect...especially with a bow you're in for a rude awaking. they are not easy to drop, they have tremendous power and heart. they require at least both lungs. Trust me I witnessed my buddies hunt and his shot placement (too close to the shoulder) was one i will never forget, we thought we had him 100% sure after tracking him for 3 miles.. we soon realized how "dead on" you have to be.

So having said that I can understand why a guide would be second guessing a 45 yard shot.

But that's not to say that most people feel totally confident taking a 45 yarder on a big boned. 800lb, elk.

not me. i've seen what happens with slightly off the mark shots.

And for the record both my friend's hunts were over once they wounded their animals and trust me they totally agreed with cal
But cal was cool enough to put us on some decent whitetail hunting after that heartache. Which helped everyones spirits.

we had a blast I totally recommend sage mountain outfitters.
especially if you want to see big bulls up close.

thought i should say something
Old 01-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: greekarcher

FYI !

First of all, i'm truely sorry to hear about your trip.

But, I just hunted with sage mountain this fall on a bowhunt for elk and it was amazing!
We didn't not hunt the cobb ranch. So i can not respond to your horrible experience there
but i can tell you about my experience with cal and renee and their wonderful guides.

It was 3 of us and we split up between 2 properties. both properties were over 20,000 acres each.

myself and one my friends were both hunting with compounds and were placed with a 2 young guides
on their ranch near the stucky ranch. the other friend was shooting traditional. So he was placed with a guide who was hunting on an amazing
ranch just 45 mins from ours. All of us had a first class experience all of us had shots 30 yards or closer. I've never seen this
much action in my life....non stop breathtaking action.

At the end of our hunt we had one bull dead and unfortunetly (truth be told) 2 wounded bulls which we never found and not without
a tremendous effort from all. luckly I got to fulfill a life dream of getting my first bull with a bow. he wasn't a giant (nice 5X5)but for me he was a dream come true... 25 yards double lung...thank god, he didn't go 40 yards. It was a clean, close and accurate shot. I had a much bigger bull than that at 40 yards broadside and decided to wait it out which really hurt me later when I realized that was my only shot. but hey man thats hunting. that next morning i had 2 shooter bulls with in 30 yards. You have to pick your moments just make sure they are truely within your kill zone and abilities. 45 yards for elk is not ethical for me. If you don't hit these animals perfect...especially with a bow you're in for a rude awaking. they are not easy to drop, they have tremendous power and heart. they require at least both lungs. Trust me I witnessed my buddies hunt and his shot placement (too close to the shoulder) was one i will never forget, we thought we had him 100% sure after tracking him for 3 miles.. we soon realized how "dead on" you have to be.

So having said that I can understand why a guide would be second guessing a 45 yard shot.

But that's not to say that most people feel totally confident taking a 45 yarder on a big boned. 800lb, elk.

not me. i've seen what happens with slightly off the mark shots.

And for the record both my friend's hunts were over once they wounded their animals and trust me they totally agreed with cal
But cal was cool enough to put us on some decent whitetail hunting after that heartache. Which helped everyones spirits.

we had a blast I totally recommend sage mountain outfitters.
especially if you want to see big bulls up close.

thought i should say something

Looks like your outfitter heard about it huntingson
Old 01-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like your outfitter heard about it huntingson
It is more than a little suspicious that a persons very first post on the forums is in support of an outfitter.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:51 PM

what a nice welcoming commity!

looks like this might be my last post....seeing that you consider everyone on here suspicious and misleading!

guys relax!

I'm just a hunter like you. I had an amazing experience with an outfitter that is being bashed on a public forum
I felt like I should join and do the right thing by adding my experience/POV
is that wrong! thats the beauty of public forums now you have 2 povs not just the basher's

if you want a reference or testimonial send me a pm and i will give you my info no problem.

And by the way you"ll probably believe me since I live in NYC and not montana!

keep your fingers off the trigger not everything is worth shooting at boys

I tried to embed a shot of my bull but I'm having tech problems with the site

what i said before is 100% true!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 07:22 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I bowhunt to shoot game up close. If you plan on shooting game at 45yards, I suggest you stick to firearm hunting.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

I believe the guy said that the elk would score 360. You tell me you wouldn't shot at that. Whatever. Not only would I shoot it at 45yds, I'd freakin smoke it. If you can hit something the size of a toyota pickup at 45 yds, i would suggest you gun hunt.

ORIGINAL: Longbow1

I don't know about the rest of you, but I bowhunt to shoot game up close. If you plan on shooting game at 45yards, I suggest you stick to firearm hunting.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Longbow1

Total Posts: 1 Newest 50 | Newest 100

Member is currently offline

Last Post 1/16/2009 8:22:40 PM

Last Login 1/16/2009 8:22:43 PM

LOL! He didn't have an agenda did he?

If you truly believe that, then that is great and I won't argue it for you. It makes no sense to come on here and try to tell everyone else how they should hunt. 45 yards at an enormouse (body size reference not antlers) bull elk is like having a 35 yard shot at a large bodied whitetail. If you aren't capable of making that shot, then I applaud you for knowing your limitations. For those of us who can, we will continue to hunt the way that we determine is right for us.

You may have also noted that the incident with Mr. Antilla was not the only concern/problem that we encountered.

Here is 1 I forgot to mention that you all might like. On the second to last day of the hunt our guide told us that he "is no elk expert. I am a deer expert." Not really what you want to hear when you paid thousands of dollars to go on an elk hunt. Trust me, being told not to shoot a shot that I was comfortable with was just the tip of the iceberg.

Quick Reply: DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.