Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS >

DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

Old 09-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

I was actually considering them as one of my last 4 choices for an outfitter for next years season. After hearing your story I'm down to 3 choices now. Thankyou!!
Old 09-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Spike

Like Jim, I wish Cal a full recovery. It's amazing how quickly our lives can change; so be grateful for every moment you have.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:43 AM
Typical Buck

unbelieveble but after looking at all the postings and answeres on the BIG GAME HUNTING section the biggest response is BITCHING and not hunting big game ..sad but true ..
Old 09-30-2009, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was told by Renee that they were not and in fact "last year we had 100% shots on the Cobb
That right there would have been my first red flag. It's either a pen operation or someone's not telling the truth (or everyone just flung arrows= 100% shots)

Aside from the shot opportunity on the bull it sounds like Huntingson had some legitimate concerns that should have been addressed by Mr Stucky. I always felt that the best business practice was that the customer is always right, even when they're wrong. I'm suprised some sort of gesture to make things right wasn't made by the outfitter, even if just a discount on another hunt so you can prove things are better then they seemed. Sometimes things happen and even if they are out of the outfitter's hands, giving him the benefit of the doubt, why let things end on a sour note? Having been told that the customer felt there wasn't full disclosure before hand I would hope that the outfitter would take steps to avoid that situation in the future, like producing an informational sheet to send to prospective clients spelling out the details of the hunt. Having been a contractor I know that spelling out every detail in advance can help avoid a lot of hard feelings later.

Having said all that I hope Mr Stucky makes a speedy recovery. I visited his caringbridge site and it sounds like he's got a tough row to hoe for some time to come. My prayers to him and his family.

Last edited by Talondale; 09-30-2009 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by heinz57
unbelieveble but after looking at all the postings and answeres on the BIG GAME HUNTING section the biggest response is BITCHING and not hunting big game ..sad but true ..
Well you just added to the pile.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Spike

I've read thru this tread with mixed feelings. My guess is there's probably sufficient blame to go around. Harsh words in the heat of the moment are difficult to retract. I did locate this link on Cal Stucky's caringbridge.org site. From it you can see how the community feels about him.

http://www.cowboysdigest.com/guestsi...w.php?gs_id=89

Yup - I'm a newbie and have never elk hunted although I've wanted to for years. Now my health won't allow me to. But I can still achieve some sense of satisfaction by reading about others experiences.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Spike

Angry

File a complaint with the state outfitters board. They take hunters complaints seriously.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jebtexas
I've read thru this tread with mixed feelings. My guess is there's probably sufficient blame to go around. Harsh words in the heat of the moment are difficult to retract. I did locate this link on Cal Stucky's caringbridge.org site. From it you can see how the community feels about him.

http://www.cowboysdigest.com/guestsi...w.php?gs_id=89
The guy may be well liked and generally a straight shooter. He may really be good family man and generous to those in the community. But It sounds like he made a mistake (to err is human) in this case and is unwilling to bend when it comes to correcting that mistake. Bottomline is you can't bring emotion to the table on a business transaction. If Cal is wrong, no one is saying he's a bad guy. Just that his business practices could make an unpleasant experience for a consumer if they are caught in the wrong circumstances with him.

Last edited by rather_be_huntin; 07-28-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for posting this.
It's been a great read and a learning experience as what to try and do before you spend your lifetimes' saving for the once in a lifetime hunt.This should be a lesson to all outfitters also not just the hunters.In a service business it pays to have satisfied customers no matter what.If you don't want them around stay out of business.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Spike

Default DIY is the only way to fly!

This entire thread leads me back to my own conclusion as far as hunting goes. Do-It-Yourself! There are so many resources and opportunities in our country to hunt on your own. Who wants to walk behind a guide and shoot what he hunts? Go on-line, do your research, contact the appropriate fish and game services, buy maps, walk off the road, and do it your way without having outside resources messing the hunt up. Its cheaper and more rewarding.

If everybody did it this way we wouldn't have to worry about outfitters and guides and drunk boyfriends, etc., etc. They wouldn't exist and maybe ranches like the Stucky's would allow regular Joes to hunt again.

DIY on public land for the REAL hunt.

P.S. I wish Cal Stucky all my best in his recovery.

Quick Reply: DO NOT HUNT WITH SAGE MOUNTAIN OUTFITTERS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.