Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How much to Tip ??????

Old 11-01-2008, 06:34 PM

Default RE: How much to Tip ??????

Thanks Turkeyward for explanning that. I was wondering the same thing once inester mention that.

What is the name of your outfitting Bus.?

What do you hunt for?
Old 11-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

I am a partner in ANTELOPE OUTFITTERS http://www.antelopeoutfitters.com/

Bugleward
Old 11-03-2008, 06:29 PM

i know guides don't make much money, and most, if not all, have other employment throughout the year. the elk guide i had last year was a high school biology teacher. the year before that was a ranch employee. i usually give 10%. i'd also tip the owner if he was my guide.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

I guessI am confused about this expectancy of a tip and the feeling that it is owed to them!!!
gra·tu·i·ty

var interfaceflash = new LEXICOFlashObject ( "http://cache.lexico.com/d/g/speaker.swf", "speaker", "17", "18", "", "6");
interfaceflash.addParam("loop", "false");
interfaceflash.addParam("quality", "high");
interfaceflash.addParam("menu", "false");
interfaceflash.addParam("salign", "t");
interfaceflash.addParam("FlashVars", "soundUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fcache.lexico.com%2Fdictiona ry%2Faudio%2Fluna%2FG03%2FG0315300.mp3");
interfaceflash.write();

/grəˈtuɪti, -ˈtyu-/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[gruh-too-i-tee, -tyoo-]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ties.

a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.

something given without claim or demand. [/align]
Everyone expects a tip nowadays **** theres even a tip jar in the local kwiky mart...give me a break here!!! If I used a outfitter and got crappy service and a mediocere hunt there would be NO tip..just because I might make good money is no reason for me to leave a bigger tip!!!! I feel that the tip expectation is getting way out of hand, if U have a job and get paid for it then be happy with whatU get !! and IF someone give U an extra little somthing then be extatic with that!!!! It is not your god given right to get a tip!!!!! and turkeyward what is the name of your business I want to make sure I never give U any of my money!!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

finnbear:
The really cool part of this thread is that most decent intelligent people will easily peel the minor amount of bs in your post and be able to tell just what kind of jerk you are. I read another one of your posts that says if a friend shows you a honey hole then its fair game for you. You are exactly the kind of guy that all hunters have heard stories about. Weather or not you are paying for your hunt you always expect more than what you should. You are, I'm convinced, the kind of guy who would watch a $5 bill fall out of a kid's pocket in a Walmart or whatever... and step on it till you are sure no one is watching and then you would put it in your pocket. There are good, generous and decent people in the world and then are jerks like you. No matter what you are involved with you will always be a taker and you will answer for that. I am a true believer in God and in the reward and punishment system set forth in our religion. There is poetic justice in store for you. That is how I can feel there is nothing here for me to say to try to fix you. God will fix your attitude. Eventually. God bless you finnbear, cuz I am sure you have burned a lot of bridges and hurt a lot of folks in your wake. Good luck to you sir.

Bugleward
Old 11-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

"if U have a job and get paid for it then be happy with whatU get !!"

finnbear, perhaps you should spend a month or two trying to survive as a waiter or waitress making 3 dollars or less an hour and needing tips to survive. Wake up Mr. Vanwinkle times have changed and if you are educated you should be able to figure out what type of job needs tips to make up for the poor wages paid. If not, well I guess U would respond just as you did.

No,I have never worked in the service industry.

turkeyward, excellent response and if I ever feel the need to chase a goat or two you will be the guy I call.

Paul

Old 11-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

completely agree. when you get a guide who goes over the top in terms of getting into tough areas, hunts long and hard-- and pleasure to be with, that goes a long way with me. And, if you connect with game and fill your tags, just name your first born after him. just kidding. But to me, thats worth a ton.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

turkeyward ;
Don't give up yer day job cause U sure aint gonna make it as a shrink!!!!!LOL!!! it's obvious that U know nothing about me or my values it is just U and your holier than tho values passing judgment on me!!kinda goes against the good book that U value so much!!!!

surf62;
been there done that worked for place paid $1.00 hr. I expected no tip, I did my job and collected my pay!!!
you people that are offended by my refusal to render a tip just because you feel that it is owed you tough!!!
tips are earned not not expected!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never used a guide for hunting, but I do scuba dive and it is pretty similar. I generally give a 10% to 20% tip depending on the service provided. If they are friendly and enjoyable to be around,they get toward the higher end of that. If they are grumpy and not so fun they get toward the lower end of that. I've dived with an outfit in Fiji where the owner was our dive guide and that was really enjoyable and he got a tip just like any dive guide would have.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Finnbear:
I will give you this -- I do not know you and I am not a shrink. I will also agree that a tip is not guarenteed nor is it or should it be expected for a poor performance. However it is important to have the expectation of a tip if the performance is good or even better than that. I am however someone who is careful not be a holier than thou kind of guy. There are a lot of outfitters who act that way and to me that is unnecessary and unacceptable. What I will say is, I try to be a better person than you appear to be. I have read your other posts and you are certainly a taker with probably zero compassion for the challenges of others. I would guess your favorite response to someone with challenges is something like, "Tough... deal with it." Granted there are times when that is a good statement to make. You feeling a honey hole shown to you by a friend is now fair game to you and your previous points here, speaks volumes of your type of personality. If a fellow hunter or friend shows you his honey hole, that should be an absolutely sacred secret. You should never go there unless you are with that friend or you ask his permission EVEN IF IT IS ON PUBLIC GROUND. Any friend who would burn up a honey hole is not a friend. There just are some things that are not acceptable. I am sure I will not fix your ways and I am sure you think I am just some jerk with some unearned disdain for you and only you. I try to live every day in the field as though I was being filmed for a TV show to show anyone what it's like to be a good person who hunts or enjoys the outdoors. If you can say you would be proud to be filmed and show anyone what you do afield then I have mistakenly judged you wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.