Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Current Elk Hunter Census: Where, What, When? >

Current Elk Hunter Census: Where, What, When?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Current Elk Hunter Census: Where, What, When?

Old 10-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Current Elk Hunter Census: Where, What, When?

Elk hunters!
** Where are you headed this year? Northern Colorado
** What season are you hunting (include a month)? January Late Rifle BULL!
** What's your camp location/typestrategy?Day Tripp'n (no way I am camping in the middle of January). Leave the house at 2am walk in 2 miles everyday of the 14 day season Yeah it's not true elk hunting but it's sure nice to sleep in a warm bed every night.
** When do you leave? Opening day 2am

Very good chance at killing a 320-350 bull. Been waiting 5 years for the tag...I got it in my hot little hands. Now we need SNOW!
Old 10-11-2008, 06:31 AM

Hitting the mountains just a few miles out the door here in western MT starting Oct. 26th for the rifle season. Drew good tags this year, so able to stay at the house unless I see reason to spike camp near a divide. Got 5-10" of snow yesterday up high, so good start to the season already. Going out for the antelope opener tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Old 10-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Heading up to northwest colorado this november for 4th rifle. Strategy is get r' done
Old 10-16-2008, 02:01 PM

ORIGINAL: spuddog

- I'm hunting CO between Steamboat and Kremmling. This is where I hunt deer. Not a top Elk unit but I think I know where they are now so I pulled a cow tag to try it out. This will be my first time going for Elk. How much time I spend will depend on filling the deer tags. My first priorty is to get my son a deer.
- 2nd Rifle, combined
- We camp off a road at the base of Middle Carter Mountain. I'll drive up to the elk area, park and start walking.
- I leave on Oct 17th

Good luck to you all and shoot straight,

Spud
- Same area noted above (CO-GMU 181), just a drainage over. Have hunted Chimney rock and the environs for years, spuddog , that's my bro-in-laws family's home ground. Was there for antelope just the other week.
- 2nd rifle combined, between the 6 of us, we have 4 bull tags, 4 cow tags and 1 buck tag (me). As always, meat in the freezer and general elk-camp-time is the goal.
- Stay in private cabin on in-laws' land. Hunt public (this time of the year, at least)
- Leave in a few hours once work stops hounding me. Forecast for Kremmling is sunny and highs in the 60's through Mon/Tue...not a good sign.

Glad to be on the board.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:13 PM

Idaho, gun season 2nd day out, had 3 bulls in my crosshairs in 3 days shot mine on the second day