HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Wyoming Elk Preference Points (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/265523-wyoming-elk-preference-points.html)

npaden 09-29-2008 04:17 PM

Wyoming Elk Preference Points

Okay, I thought I had this all figured out where I was going to be able to buy a preference point each summer and then have about a 90% chance of drawing a general elk tag each year.

Big kink in the plan, if you get drawn on your tag you can't buy a preference point!!! [&:]

That means my odds of drawing a general elk license drop from 91% to 15%!! :eek:

I can pay the outrageous amount for the "special" license ($1,057 vs. $577) and that would bump my odds with no preference point up to 51% but I don't know if I can stomach that big of a license fee. I can afford it, but not sure if I can justify that.

I called up Wyoming's Game and Fish department and they said I could always apply for a cow tag in the area that we hunt in as my second choice and I could still go but I'm not sure I want to do that.

So is there any tricks that I missed on this?

Thanks, Nathan

Colorado Bob 09-29-2008 05:52 PM

RE: Wyoming Elk Preference Points

Seems fair, I mean you drew a tag this year. I didn't. I got a point, seems fair that next year i draw & you get the point. CB

sclwald 09-29-2008 05:56 PM

You got it correct and there is no way around it. You will get preference points until you draw and then start over again.

oddhntr 10-09-2008 11:21 PM

yep, it's kinda like a wait list, then you get put back on the bottom of the wait list, unless you get really lucky in the random draw

stealthycat II 10-10-2008 12:45 AM

so you want to save points AND draw a tag every year ?

thats not the concept of DRAWING is it ?

sclwald 10-10-2008 06:48 AM

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

When you fill out the forms and send them in you can either buy a point and not enter the drawing or you can enter the drawing and if you don't draw you receive a point for a specific dollar amount. These points add up year after year up to a certain ammount then you max out. If you are drawn your point count starts over.

npaden 10-10-2008 07:39 AM

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

Not really, I'm not trying to save up any points, I just want to buy one point each year to get a general tag that a resident could buy over the counter. Then use that point each year by getting drawn!I'm not trying for any special areas.

Buying a preference point without even applying for a license doesn't seem right either, but they let you do that. If they didn't have a crazy system like that to begin with I would have never thought it would be possible to draw a tag and get a preference point the same year. There is really no incentive to put in for a preference point when you apply for the license because if you don't get drawn you can always buy a preference point that summer. It's a strange system.

Wyoming seems to be at the forefront of finding new ways to get money out of folks with their "special" licenses, $50 preference points, requiring non-residents to have a guide in wilderness areas if you are hunting but not if you are just camping out, etc...

So now I'm researching other states to hunt in. Looks like there is an 85% chance I won't be going to Wyoming next year.

SouthDakotaHunter 10-10-2008 03:55 PM

[/quote]

Buying a preference point without even applying for a license doesn't seem right either, but they let you do that. [/quote]

:eek:

Personally, I think being able tojustbuy aPP is a great option.It allows a person to somewhat 'try' and plan your year out - at least you have some idea with certain states if you stand a good chance to draw.

Also, sometimes things come up and you know there is no way you could go even if you drew a tag. This year, my wife and I just had a baby, so I didn't want to be putting in for 20+ tags like I normally do all accross the west. I would have been screwed if I couldn't have just bought a PP....

CAelknuts 10-10-2008 03:57 PM

Wyoming's system makes perfect sense if you take a bit to study it. You just have to play by their rules if you want to hunt in their state. Other than the high cost for licenses and points, it's no big deal.