Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

.204 for elk....

Old 09-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default .204 for elk....

Has no bearing on what I am going to pose today!!!!
Rather I am talking about my favorite part of camp.....Food!
After all, there is only one absolute truth in this life......
A FAT MAN HAS GOT TO EAT!!!!

With that, any suggestions for a change in the menu? Now be advised we don't eat anything dehydrated, desalinated or deflowered!
I bring the usual fare....my smoked brisket and ribs, elk chili, brisket beans, and the like. Adding etoufee to the menu this year.
Just wondered if any of you bring anything to the table...so to speak?
We have a drive up main camp, so we do indulge ourselves certain luxuries.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:50 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: .204 for elk....

Payaya, Cajun Boil, Steaks (on the grill), beer can chicken (on the grill), chicken cordon bleu, chicken under a brick (on the grill), blackened fish (cast iron pan into the grill on high until black pan has a grey tinge to it), hungarian goulosh (sp?), shrimp creole, tortilla soup, hamburger soup, beef tournadous with basil creme sauce.

Marie Calendar frozen pies.
Plenty of salad fixin's with a variety of dressings.
Good selection of red and white wines to match up with all the above.
Good selection of micro brews in addition to the Miller Lite.

"Magnum" menus are great! Camaraderie, libation, good food, and friends.... it don't get much better than that.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Canada our Thanksgiving is in October during moose season. Roast Turkey, sweet potato, peas n' gravy, dressing a nice bottle of red wine and pumpkin pieall grace our table on T'Giving evening.... unless we shoot a moose that afternoon. Then it's tenderloins and whiskey.

We tent it but pack in a 24 " propane range.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:31 PM

ORIGINAL: RedRiverHntr

Has no bearing on what I am going to pose today!!!!
Rather I am talking about my favorite part of camp.....Food!
After all, there is only one absolute truth in this life......
A FAT MAN HAS GOT TO EAT!!!!

With that, any suggestions for a change in the menu? Now be advised we don't eat anything dehydrated, desalinated or deflowered!
I bring the usual fare....my smoked brisket and ribs, elk chili, brisket beans, and the like. Adding etoufee to the menu this year.
Just wondered if any of you bring anything to the table...so to speak?
We have a drive up main camp, so we do indulge ourselves certain luxuries.

swing by my place and pick me up on the way? that sounds like some good eaten!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is chili mac out of the question or are you looking for something more grand? For me, anything fried, or better yet, deep fried is a hit. Don't look to me for healthy foods though, I learned to cook in south Georgia. If it doesn't have a stick of butter or salt, or molasses in it, you ain't cooking it right!

Deep fried banannas are wonderful!

Picture cooking beer can chicken, sweet potatoes, butter and rice, and glazed asparagus over an open fire. Wash it down with your favorite brew and finish it off with an old fashioned green tomato pie. You've got a meal fit for a king right there!
Old 09-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

mmmmmmmmmm... green tomato pie now thats good!!!!!

Here is one of my camp favorties I make 2 cans bush baked beans,1 onion sliced 16 strips of bacon cut in 1/2,slice potatos,and 7-8 big polishes,and 1/4 cup franks hot sauce
Combine the onios and potatos,bacon in large skillet,cook till taters are amost done,then toss in the polishes cut in 1/4s,franks Hot sauceand beans cook till taters and polishes are done serve hot.

Another 2 quarts of canned deer meat,4 cups water,1 onion,4 carots,6 potatos,4 celery stalks,and packed of beef stew mix.
In large sauce pan put meat,and vegie's (cut up) add water and stew mix boild till vegies are done and eat.

One more
2 buches of asparugus(sp) cut 1/2 pices,2 pounds spicy pork sausage,2 red bell peppers 2 jars of poor brothers alfado sause and fetticinie noodles.
In a skillet put sausage and asparugus/pepers in cook till aspargus is done,drain and add alfrado sauce,boil noodle till done and serve

BBJ
Old 09-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

We had our meeting last night, to get our final plans down. I have to prepair dinner for just one night. I'm gonna do the old fashion steaks, potato's and salad. I'll just pick each guy up 2 t-bones, buy a big tub of premaid potato's of some kind, and bring a couple of bags of salad and some ranch. My whole meal will take less than 30 minutes to prepare and everyone will eat like kings. Throw everything on paper plates and hardly no clean up! For desert we will have plenty of cold beer!!! This is my favorite week of the year every year. I had to miss it last year because my daughter was born!

I'm freaking stoked!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 06:43 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Yep, it is getting close, starting to pack up to avoid the "week of departure" crunch. Filling propane, loading up the elk trailer, freezing the water jugs in the upright freezer (in the elk trailer). Menu is finalized, doing the non-perishable pre-shop. After all these years, I have the check list in Excel.... gotta list and checking it twice.

We got seven elk licenses to fill, my goal this year is to fill them all the opening day. Got4 horsesarranged forand we have 4 pannier set ups. I'm stoked; I love the sound of that K-THUD!
Old 09-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Exactly!!!
Menu is set.
Firstnight in camp: Hamburgers over the camp fire. (Tired from setting up camp)
Daily Breakfast/Brunch varies little: Eggs (cooked to order), sausage, bacon, hash browns w/jalapenos&onions, biscuits, and gravy.
Second night (before opening day): CampFire Ribeyes, Shrimp and Tators baked in the coals.
3rd night: Smoked Brisket, baby back ribs and beans
4th night: Shrimp Etoufee, German Sausage and accoutrements
5th night: Spaghetti w/deer meat and bread
6th night: Deer meat stew
7th night: Elk Chili w/ all the fixins. Hopefully some fresh tenderloin on the fire by then too!!!

Usually bring homemade baked goods for deserts, but I try to also throw togethera camp prepared peach cobbler, time permitting.

Purchases of all non-perishable goods and those that require freezing have all been made.
Camp equipment all been checked. Trailers ready. Shop is full of clothing/gear containers. (Try to keep out of the house until a couple of weeks prior to departure. In the past that would start a month or more out and the house frau lost patience.)

Lets' go!!!!

Old 09-29-2008, 02:32 PM

RRH,

How you making biscuits? Dutch oven? Just curious.

-Bugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.