Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Boots

Old 09-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default Boots

What are good boots for elk hunting?
Old 09-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Spike

Default RE: Boots

I boughta pair of Danner Pronghorns for my 2nd week of Colorado archery trip. Less than 4 pounds, waterproof, 1000 grams of thinsulate and comfortable right out of the box.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

Do a search and you will get all the opinions you can stand on this site.
Readers Digest version.....
I love me some Danner Pronghorn. But I would caution, though no one ever seems to listen, that unless you are going to sit for prolonged times, then less insulation is better! I use the uninsulated ones. But then I am on the move unless it is hot and dry and sitting on some water or a wallow and then I still don't want any insulation. If you hunt Elk like we hunt deer down here in Tejas, then by all means get plenty of thinsulate as sitting for hours results in cold feet. My .72 cents worth (inflation).
Old 09-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hiking boots or tennis shoes are the best when the weather is good. The lighter the better on a long day. When the weather is bad, any good name of hunting boots that have an aggressive tread, waterproof, and enoughthinsulate to keep your feet warm.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

A lot of elk country is rough country. I prefer a tall well built boot, Meindl Canada. Danner is the boot you will hear mentioned most often. I think they are a very good boot. They just don't fit my foot. Most important feature, good soles. The rest, cordura or leather depends on you. 15 years ago I could wear the cordura boots, now I need full grain leather for the support.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hiking boots or tennis shoes are the best when the weather is good. The lighter the better on a long day. When the weather is bad, any good name of hunting boots that have an aggressive tread, waterproof, and enoughthinsulate to keep your feet warm.

I am going to try running shoes next go around unless there is snow on the ground... I used to buy Danners but I am going to try out Cabelas Meindl boots the lighter the better . My bony feet cannot get comfortable in Danners no matter which model I try.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like the Meindle Perfekt Hunters, but maybe that's just because my uncle owns the company and I am a 20% share holder in the business. Just joking: I have no affiliation with the company. They are good boots. Require about as close to zero break-in as you can get. No doubt there are other suitable boots, but these work fine. I have hunted in them when the weather was 70 degrees, so they work just fine in warm weather also. When I sit still for 30 or 45 minutes and it is maybe 20 degrees, my toes will get cold in these boots. Solution is easy -- stand up and walk around.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

everyone is going to have thier own opinions and that is all fine.....but, not everyone is the same....go to a sporting store (bass, cabelas, etc)......try the shoes on, walk around, use the little hill climber they have at some of them....whatever you pick get something that goes over your ankle and will support the ankle...other than that it is what you feel comfortable with.

example...the meindl, lowa, etc boots..really expensive, nice boots...fit my feet like CRAP! however, a cheap pair of cabeals speed hunter II's.....feet me extremely well....went on a backpack hunt in, what i would consider semi rough terrain...no rocky grades...with a 50lb pack and FOR ME, they worked extremley well.

buttom line..got try them on and see what fits....then know that you usually get what you pay for.... i don't expect these speed hunters to last more then maybe 3 years, but they are the best fitting.