Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Why are the Magnum elk hunters the bad guys??? >

Why are the Magnum elk hunters the bad guys???

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Why are the Magnum elk hunters the bad guys???

Old 10-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why are the Magnum elk hunters the bad guys???

I have never had a deer or elk complain that I used to big of a gun to kill them
Old 10-14-2008, 12:38 PM

I know it is where you hit them at that matters most but the shock value of a heavier hitting bullet that can penetrate bone and just about anything on the animal at just about any distance is a certified and bonified PLUS. That's why I hunt with either a 7mm Rem Mag or a 30.06 because there is no such thing as over kill. Before I pull the trigger ask yourself one question Do you feel lucky, do ya, punk.. [8D]
Old 10-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dirt2,
The problem you described is NOT a magnum problem. As you said they started out with a less powerful rifle and failed to do their range work, research on bullet drop and effects of other factors that affect accuracy. If they were poor hunters and poor marksmen with .270, .30-06 and .338 calibers all,the common thread is that they are poor hunter and poor marksmen poor hunter and poor marksmen.
Which rifle they shoot is not the problem.
Better find some different friends or acquaintances.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dirt2

If bow hunters can discipline themselves to only take shots within the very limited capacity of their weapon, then surely a guy can use a .270 responsibly for elk, or a .243 for deer. It's all a matter of self-discipline. Without it, you will wound game consistently. Period.

My two cents worth, again!
I regularly kill deer with a .22 hornet, and a bow, If I had a chance at elk or moose I could do it with it as well, but I think I would use my .243.

Did any body see roger raglin kill some big ass cow looking thing, he shot it about 5 times with a big big gun. hell my friends mom put a 2000lb bull down with 1 shot from her 6mm. The damn thing was destroying there farm, so she killed it, it was the neigbors that got out and went on a rampage on her property.