Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 good sheep & goat hunting rifles >

good sheep & goat hunting rifles

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

good sheep & goat hunting rifles

Old 03-18-2003, 04:08 PM

Default good sheep & goat hunting rifles

is a rem 710 30-06 or a weatherby vanguard 300 wby mag a good goat or sheep hunting gun
Old 03-18-2003, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: good sheep & goat hunting rifles

Some people want the lightest rifle possible for hunting goat and sheep but I find no problems in carrying an extra couple of pounds.I find that I tend to shoot slightly heavier rifles more accurately as well.If you don' t mind carrying either of the rifles mentioned they will work fine for sheep or goat.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stay away from the Rem 710 it' s a piece of junk. Go with the Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Wby. Mag. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

I see you are from Ohio, if you want to hunt sheep you are going to have a pretty expensive hunt. If you can afford a hunt for IMO the cadillac of big game. Get yourself a stainless steel / all weather stock rifle. A Winchester 70, Ruger 77, Remington 700. It will rain, snow, sleet, hail & everthing else up there. Your equipment will be put to the test, get the best. Why spend $8000 on a sheep hunt & have your $300 rifle fail ?

FYI-- I' ve been on several sheep/goat hunts here in Colorado. I love it. Your legs will ache, your lungs will be screaming for oxygen, you will be shivering from the snow & rain--- while the wind rips over the ridge. But when that ram steps up from his bed !!! Nothing in the world can compare. Sheep live in God' s Country !!
Old 03-20-2003, 01:01 AM
Fork Horn

This style of hunting is similar to our alpine hunting in NZ. And game size is similar.
I' d say either of those calibers are fine.
Recently I bought one of those Ultralight Rifles, as I always reckon less weight is a good thing.
The mistake I made was to buy one where part of the weight reduction was effected by shortening the Barrel down to 20 inchs. (Its a Ruger M77 Ultralight) Now I wish I had at least an extra two inchs. The accuracy is pretty average and you compromise your bullet speed. Now I' d gladly have the extra few ounces on my back.
Down this way the .270 is real popular, but is probably the minimum for what you' re wanting to do.
Don' t compromise on your scope quality.